Publication Q/How to write "accepted" vs "submitted"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1dayatatime

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do i designate that my publication is "accepted/in press" vs. "submitted" on ERAS? When I inputted them, they all say "published." I read the user guide but didn't find out how to do this.

Also a related q - when ERAS opens, will I just have to hit "apply" and pay or will I have to assign my documents (LORs, PS) and then hit apply and pay?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How do i designate that my publication is "accepted/in press" vs. "submitted" on ERAS? When I inputted them, they all say "published." I read the user guide but didn't find out how to do this.

Also a related q - when ERAS opens, will I just have to hit "apply" and pay or will I have to assign my documents (LORs, PS) and then hit apply and pay?

Thanks!

-Hey I had this question as well and the sticky on publications in this forum answered my question
-basically they tell you to be conservative about listing your publications.
-In this case because the paper is not published you have to select the option "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts(Other than Published) "
-there are options to select accepted vs. submitted etc.

-hope this helps

Reactions: 1 user
my idea is to have them accepted by interviews hopefully

I'm not sure I understand the difference between "accepted" and "in press." I have an article that was accepted at the end of July and they have already made proofs that they have sent me and that I have reviewed. However, the article is not yet online or in print. Do I cite this as "in press" because they've made proofs and are getting ready to publish or still only "accepted?" And more broadly, what is the distinction between "accepted" and "in press" for the purposes of ERAS?

-Hey I had this question as well and the sticky on publications in this forum answered my question
-basically they tell you to be conservative about listing your publications.
-In this case because the paper is not published you have to select the option "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts(Other than Published) "
-there are options to select accepted vs. submitted etc.

-hope this helps
But what if it is a case report? I have a case report that has been submitted. Does submitted case report = peer reviewed journal article/abstract(other than published)?

my idea is to have them accepted by interviews hopefully

You can update ERAS when that does happen or let the programs you have not heard from know that your articles have been accepted. As Dr. Bob noted above, submitted means squat. And, you can tell the programs you are interviewing with when you interview with them that you have had x number of publications recently accepted.

Question: Where do you put a manuscript that was accepted into a specialty's annual academy meeting? I feel it is more than a poster presentation because it is an actual manuscript but it is not a publication because it is not a publication. Lol. Any thoughts?
You can update ERAS when that does happen or let the programs you have not heard from know that your articles have been accepted. As Dr. Bob noted above, submitted means squat. And, you can tell the programs you are interviewing with when you interview with them that you have had x number of publications recently accepted.

Question: Where do you put a manuscript that was accepted into a specialty's annual academy meeting? I feel it is more than a poster presentation because it is an actual manuscript but it is not a publication because it is not a publication. Lol. Any thoughts?

Wouldn't that be considered an abstract?

Abstract Not published or an oral presentation are my two finalist. I kind of settled on Oral presentation. Am I wrong in doing so?