Publication Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TTigers70

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have found myself in an interesting situation and am looking for some opinions on non-science publications. To preface the situation, I am planning on getting a B.S in Biological Sciences and a B.A in Labor Studies and Employment Relations. (I'm not gunning for a dual degree my schedule just allowed for it even without anyyyyyy overlap in classes). Anyway, I recently submitted a pretty standard research paper in a labor studies class taught by a leader in her respective field. Her CV is literally over 30 pages long because it's packed with publications from around the world. She commented that she was very interested in the direction I went with the paper and offered to submit it for publication in a journal after I "completed" it. I completed it for the purpose of the class but apparently to be "complete" would mean to include some field work and exploration of other related topics. It seems as though it would be an interesting experience, but essentially is it worth it?

I know many people will say worth is too objective to quantify and it should be something I enjoy doing. However, my problem with a statement like that is that I enjoy doing too many things for my own good. Taking up the offer would probably require me to give up either a class or about 10 hours a week next semester. I could get published (not even guaranteed -- I'm confident in my abilities but just trying to cover all the bases right now to make sure I know what I'm getting in to) . I also could get a pretty solid LOR but unfortunately it is non-science and I already have two set up on that front.

I've heard that publications emphasize the dedication one puts into research and shows a certain seriousness and capacity for independent learning regardless of the subject matter. I can see how this holds true when looking at either clinical or bench research, but how about research not related to science? Doubt many scientists/doctors read journals on labor issues.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I think you should go for it. I know a lot of students enter college knowing they want to become a doctor, but this seems like a great opportunity to investigate a different path. And yeah, I do think it will help more-so than one extra class. If you need those 10/wk. of work to make ends meet, you can't really drop those.

A publication in a totally different field will probably be an interesting addition to your med school application if you are still gung-ho to apply 3rd year of college.

it will definitely help your med school app. do it.