1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Publication Timing

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NeeMaBeeMa, Mar 24, 2004.

1. I'm the first author of a research project that I've been working on since freshman year. My professor wants to delay the submission of my paper because she wants to reverse the order of manuscripts to increase the importance of my paper to the field of study. The downfall is that I really can't put it on my AMCAS since I'm turning it in June since the publication would come out in August-October.

I already have attended and presented at numerous conferences so the field boxes on AMCAS should be of no concern. If I send an update letter with the abstract of the study the "post-secondary" season, will it have more of an impact than if I somehow squeeze it in to put it on my AMCAS? I think the manuscript is more of a high value and I'm not sure if it would be more potent when submitting my AMCAS or if it will even be ready by secondaries which means I have to tell them post-secondaries.

My grades aren't stellar, it's something like a 3.25, and I haven't taken my MCAT yet.

Anyone else face such problems? Please give your suggestions/comments.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. edfig99

Physician Faculty 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    just list the manuscript as "in press" since it sounds like it will have a high likelihood of getting printed - it's not REALLY lying... everyone knows that it takes forever for manuscripts to get printed anyway since they are rarely taken on the first try. once the article is printed then you can notify the powers that be in an update letter.

4. Usually for publications you can put the status in parentheses, at the very end...choose from "completed," "submitted for publication," "accepted for publication," etc. I'll try and look up that actual (official) terms.

5. Here's a pretty good summary that I found:

6. E.A. Poe

E.A. Poe the man
    7+ Year Member

Whatever you choose to write on your AMCAS just make sure its accurate b/c med schools can sometimes check in with a PI to verify. I had a publication (third author) that was not yet submitted so I just included it in the experiences section on AMCAS.

7. Habari

Habari Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

it should be under the category of 'in preparation'.

if you feel like pushing it, go for 'submitted'. anything beyond that is a stretch.

8. HoodyHoo

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I had a similar problem. on my AMCAS I wrote submitted and listed the title and authors, and what journal it was submitted to. No schools even bothered to ask me about it so I don't really know if it even matters (unless you are doing MSTP).