Publications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJDental

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I was wondering if anyone is doing any type of research for their school? And has anyone gotten any publications? Ive been reading some posts about people saying having something published is a great way to "stand out" on your applications.....i think ill try to get into research at my school........any input?​

Members don't see this ad.

I did a quarter of undergraduate research in an organic chemistry lab. I was invited by my ochem lab TA to work in his lab, but I did it out of general interest. I enjoyed the time I spent in there, but it was a big commitment (20 hours/week for an entire quarter and all I got was one class credit (4 quarter units). The project I worked on is still going on in the lab and will likely result in a publication.

I would recommend it only if you're going to enjoy the work you do. if you find a professor who is doing stuff that interests you, check it out.

Research certainly can't hurt you and I would recommend it. I've found it to be a very rewarding experience. However, not all schools are interested in weather or not you've done research or been published. If you're applying to d-schools keen on research i.e. UCSF (#1 research dental school), then obviously you're doing yourself a favor. But don't go into research just for that reason alone. Do research because you want to contribute something valuable to the field.

Also, consider your time-line. Some labs will tag your name onto a paper just for being there. But most competitive labs want you to have contributed something significant to the project before adding you as a co-author. This often can mean you need to have done over a year's worth of research with the lab. Then you submit the paper for an initial review. Then the reviewers decide weather or not to accept your publication. Then you do revisions. And finally, weeks or months after submitting the revisions, then you get published. All things to consider.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also doing research at my school. It's actually dental research by chance, I was just at the right place at the right time. I'm getting paid for part of it but most of it is volunteer work. If all turns out well it will be getting published, hopefully in the Journal of Endodontics! I'm also doing it because I have a genuine interest and like the previous poster said, it can take up a lot of time so make sure you can handle it before committing. I'd like to hear from anyone who has done research and has been asked about it in their interview. Does it really help you stand out that much?

Can you name some other schools that look highly upon research experience?

Research certainly can't hurt you and I would recommend it. I've found it to be a very rewarding experience. However, not all schools are interested in weather or not you've done research or been published. If you're applying to d-schools keen on research i.e. UCSF (#1 research dental school), then obviously you're doing yourself a favor. But don't go into research just for that reason alone. Do research because you want to contribute something valuable to the field.

Also, consider your time-line. Some labs will tag your name onto a paper just for being there. But most competitive labs want you to have contributed something significant to the project before adding you as a co-author. This often can mean you need to have done over a year's worth of research with the lab. Then you submit the paper for an initial review. Then the reviewers decide weather or not to accept your publication. Then you do revisions. And finally, weeks or months after submitting the revisions, then you get published. All things to consider.

And then, even if all you say materialize, it is only a paper--a tiny, tiny drop in the gigantic barrel known as Science. It is up to the individual to decide if all the effort is worthy of a publication that most people would not even bother to read. I should also point out that other than the first and last authors, and maybe to a very minor extent the second author, the other lesser authorships carry essentially no meaning to folks know the field.

I have done research for the past 3 years and have to say it has been the most rewarding experience ever. I am a more intellecual and critical thinker because of it. I totally think this experience will help me in my practice as well as in dental school. Even though my research did not apply to dental school I can relate the concepts to the research I want to do while there.

Schools that look highly upon research? anyone?

ive heard Harvard looks highly on research....im not sure where else tho....