published

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saki0005

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how important is it to schools that applicants be published in their research?

Members don't see this ad.

saki0005 said:
how important is it to schools that applicants be published in their research?

Most undergrads don't have publications so don't worry about it. I have a couple and was never asked about them.

Yeah, same here. I think its mostly the research experience as many undergrad "publications" are really just a generous PI slapping a name on the paper. That's not to say they didn't deserve it, but it is to say that often people are given credit where it wasn't all that due. Then again, that happens often enough in the post-grad research world as well...

Members don't see this ad :)
Larsitron said:
Yeah, same here. I think its mostly the research experience as many undergrad "publications" are really just a generous PI slapping a name on the paper. That's not to say they didn't deserve it, but it is to say that often people are given credit where it wasn't all that due. Then again, that happens often enough in the post-grad research world as well...

It helps a bit more if you can somehow end up as first or second author, but very very few undergrads manage that. While later author listings tend to mean your worked for someone generous, as the above post indicates, and won't mean much, they also tend to go hand in hand with a nice LOR from that generous PI, which does count a lot.

everyone loves to have their name on a paper, but if not, it's ok. plenty of people get in without the publications and just experience.