"publishing" an abstract

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modelslashactor

Safety not guaranteed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all,

what the heck do people mean when they say they published an abstract? does this just mean it was presented at a conference and then it was published in the conference's presentation book?

the reason I ask is that I'm putting together a cv and have 2 posters, one abstract, and one publication, which means putting each one into separate categories would be pointless. would it be in bad taste to put the abstract in with the publication?

Members don't see this ad.

That's what I would take it to mean (abstract = published abstract from a poster or oral presentation).

I think if you have a small number* of publications/presentations in different categories it's fine to lump them all into a "publications and presentations" section as long as each item is clearly labeled appropriately. I guess I woudln't list a poster under a section just listed as "publications" as somebody quickly scanning it would get the wrong idea.

*I don't intend to sound mean by calling these "small". Congrads on getting these. It's hard and shows that you've gone above and beyond what most people do.

modelslashactor said:
what the heck do people mean when they say they published an abstract? does this just mean it was presented at a conference and then it was published in the conference's presentation book?
Pretty much. I belong to one society that publishes the abstracts from its annual meeting in its journal, but that's the execption rather than the rule. Most of the time just list the authors, title, meeting name, city, date, and abstract# if you know it.

the reason I ask is that I'm putting together a cv and have 2 posters, one abstract, and one publication, which means putting each one into separate categories would be pointless. would it be in bad taste to put the abstract in with the publication?
A publication is a pretty big deal compared to an abstract, so you can list it separately to draw attention to it. I have my CV divided into "publications" and "abstracts and presentations". If you did it that way you'd have one in the first category and three in the second. I think that would look alright. :)

Thank you both for your help! Our society does the same thing, Cane, which contributed to the confusion.

And Adcadet, I started making my cv by using my PI's as a guide, so in comparison to it "small" is about the biggest word I would describe it with :)