Puerto Rican female applying for MD - advice for med school list needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benitezs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I really appreciate any advice on med schools; the pre-med advising committee at my university has not been great for creating a medical school list.

Biographical Info

Sex: Female
Race: Puerto Rican (but went to a top 30 university in Boston)

Academic Information

cGPA: 3.592
sGPA: 3.50
MCAT: 11 PS/10 VR/11 BS/32 Total

Volunteer/Research

- Timmy Global Health: Went on medical brigade to Guatemala and provided free healthcare to impoverished communities. Met with team members throughout the year to fundraise for purchase of medical supplies.
- Service trip to Natchez, MS: Participated for two consecutive years in service trip to an all-black early learning center in Natchez. Met weekly for a year to plan fundraising activities.
- Dorchester House Multi-Service Center: volunteered weekly for a year as a patient facilitator.
- Gifford Cat Shelter: volunteered at the cat shelter every Saturday for a year.
- Center for Maternal Infantile Studies: interned for a month at clinic that provides medical attention to HIV positive women who are pregnant or at risk of becoming pregnant.

Extracurriculars

- Splash program: gives the opportunity for undergraduates to teach classes to high school students on any subject of their liking. Taught a total of 5 classes in my 2 years with the program. Held a leadership role in the e-board for a year.
- Tutors for all at Codman Academy Charter Public: tutored high school sophomores in Physics and Math every Saturday for a semester. Prepared lesson plans and submitted progress for them.
- West End House Boys and Girls Club: After school program for kids up to 18 years of age. I worked as the front desk administrator and membership assistant.
- Senior mentor of pre-medical society: Advised two pre-med freshmen throughout the whole year on course planning, volunteering opportunities, summer internships, etc.

For the last three semesters of college, I had a GPA trend of around 3.78. I'm currently doing mental health research in the Latino community and I'm interested in getting more involved with it as I pursue my medical degree. Below is the list of medical schools I'm currently applying to.

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
George Washington University
Georgetown
Keck School of Med of Southern California
Mt. Sinai School of Medicine
New York Medical College
NYU
Northwestern
Ponce School of Medicine
Quinnipiac University
Rosalind Franklin
University of Miami
Tufts
University of Puerto Rico (in-state)
Brown
Weill Cornell

Are there any you would add or remove from the list? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly don't know how much the Puerto Rican URM status impacts your chances. That in mind, I think you have a good shot at some of the schools you listed. Your GPA is definitely a little low, but you have a good MCAT. Maybe add a few more mid-tier schools? You should be set for schools in PR, too.

I'd cut NYU, Sinai, and Cornell and I agree with the above poster; add some more mid/lower tier schools like SUNY schools/Tulane/Temple/Drexel.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly don't know how much the Puerto Rican URM status impacts your chances.

Significantly. Puerto Ricans have the lowest matriculant MCAT of any URM. A 32 is 96th percentile.

That being said, Cornell/Northwestern/NYU might be a bit out of range.

Your stats are very good for URM I would add Hofstra and St Louis

I'd cut NYU, Sinai, and Cornell and I agree with the above poster; add some more mid/lower tier schools like SUNY schools/Tulane/Temple/Drexel.
I wouldn't cut any of those schools. A URM Puerto Rican can definitely make it into those programs.

If you're going to aim for NYU and Sinai, you might as well add Columbia to the list!
Hoftsra and Dartmouth too.

Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
George Washington University
Georgetown
Keck School of Med of Southern California
Mt. Sinai School of Medicine
New York Medical College
NYU
Northwestern
Ponce School of Medicine
Quinnipiac University
Rosalind Franklin
University of Miami
Tufts
University of Puerto Rico (in-state)
Brown
Weill Cornell

Are there any you would add or remove from the list? Thanks!

[/QUOTE]

Last edited: