Puerto Rican schools???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an American Citizen. If i were to attend one of the Puerto Rican medical schools, would i be considered a foreign graduate?

Members don't see this ad.

NRAI2001 said:
I am an American Citizen. If i were to attend one of the Puerto Rican medical schools, would i be considered a foreign graduate?

No, since the puerto rican schools are listed by LCME, they are equivalent to any other school in the US or Canada (just look at any MSAR).

cyclohexanol said:
No, since the puerto rican schools are listed by LCME, they are equivalent to any other school in the US or Canada (just look at any MSAR).

Do you need to know spanish to attend one of these schools? Do you have a link to the websites of any of these schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
NRAI2001 said:

NO. Look at this site.....http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/srch/1,2667,Y,00.html. Look for Puerto Rico in "Locations" at the main page. Puerto Rico is a US commonwealth with accredited residencies and MED SCHOOL.

NRAI2001 said:
Awesome, too bad i cant speak spanish......should i have stuck with it.[/QU

You should apply either way. Remember that the first two years is pretty much classroom education and tests. You will have those 2 years to polish your spanish a little bit. Everything else is in english. And by the way, medicine is not about the school, the books or the patients...its about you sitting down, reading and memorizing....if you do that you will score high in yopur USMLE's.