Quantcast

Pulled Teeth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mola_pulla

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
Hey I have started collecting pulled teeth from the dentist I work for, to have for practice in dental school and I was wondering what I need to do in order to clean and preserve them. Thanks for your help.
 

TheJuneSpirit00

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 19, 2006
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Normally your school will tell you what to store the teeth in. For me it was a solution of household bleach diluted 1:10 with tap water. I've also heard this is a common solution. I've also heard sometimes teeth are stored in anti-freeze, I don't know how true that one is though. Your best bet is to check with your school as to what they require of you....and if you don't feel like doing that then just do what I told you and use the bleech solution. good luck.
 

QUDMD

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
just some friendly advice. don't tell a patient that you're going to pull their teeth (they freak out). say you're going to extract or (better still) remove them
 

HuyetKiem

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2004
Messages
811
Reaction score
0
mola_pulla said:
Hey I have started collecting pulled teeth from the dentist I work for, to have for practice in dental school and I was wondering what I need to do in order to clean and preserve them. Thanks for your help.

clean them real good with tooth brush and toothpaste then store in filtered water.
 

scalpel2008

beep beep beep...smash
10+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
559
Reaction score
6
QUDMD said:
just some friendly advice. don't tell a patient that you're going to pull their teeth (they freak out). say you're going to extract or (better still) remove them

Similarly avoid verbs such as shuck, jerk, pull, yank, heave, snatch, wiggle, rip, pluck, tug, wrestle, roll, extricate. Although I've lost count of the number of times a patient has told me "yank 'em all" or "just pull 'em all"
 

Reconabe

Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
May 21, 2006
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
scalpel2008 said:
Similarly avoid verbs such as shuck, jerk, pull, yank, heave, snatch, wiggle, rip, pluck, tug, wrestle, roll, extricate. Although I've lost count of the number of times a patient has told me "yank 'em all" or "just pull 'em all"
lol, last week in our OS clinic a pt asked me if I was going to "poke her gums before I yanked her teeth with the pliers". I was ready to crack up laughing with all those terms in the same sentence.
 

toofache32

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2003
Messages
3,863
Reaction score
42
HuyetKiem said:
clean them real good with tooth brush and toothpaste then store in filtered water.
And floss them, too.
 

eapleitez

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2004
Messages
285
Reaction score
0
UCLA has us keep them in 10% formalin solution.
 

drhobie7

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2005
Messages
1,367
Reaction score
11
eapleitez said:
UCLA has us keep them in 10% formalin solution.
I never figured out where to get that stuff. I just used water and a little bleach.
 
Top