Pulled Teeth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mola_pulla

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I have started collecting pulled teeth from the dentist I work for, to have for practice in dental school and I was wondering what I need to do in order to clean and preserve them. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Normally your school will tell you what to store the teeth in. For me it was a solution of household bleach diluted 1:10 with tap water. I've also heard this is a common solution. I've also heard sometimes teeth are stored in anti-freeze, I don't know how true that one is though. Your best bet is to check with your school as to what they require of you....and if you don't feel like doing that then just do what I told you and use the bleech solution. good luck.

just some friendly advice. don't tell a patient that you're going to pull their teeth (they freak out). say you're going to extract or (better still) remove them

Members don't see this ad :)
mola_pulla said:
Hey I have started collecting pulled teeth from the dentist I work for, to have for practice in dental school and I was wondering what I need to do in order to clean and preserve them. Thanks for your help.

clean them real good with tooth brush and toothpaste then store in filtered water.

QUDMD said:
just some friendly advice. don't tell a patient that you're going to pull their teeth (they freak out). say you're going to extract or (better still) remove them

Similarly avoid verbs such as shuck, jerk, pull, yank, heave, snatch, wiggle, rip, pluck, tug, wrestle, roll, extricate. Although I've lost count of the number of times a patient has told me "yank 'em all" or "just pull 'em all"

scalpel2008 said:
Similarly avoid verbs such as shuck, jerk, pull, yank, heave, snatch, wiggle, rip, pluck, tug, wrestle, roll, extricate. Although I've lost count of the number of times a patient has told me "yank 'em all" or "just pull 'em all"
lol, last week in our OS clinic a pt asked me if I was going to "poke her gums before I yanked her teeth with the pliers". I was ready to crack up laughing with all those terms in the same sentence.

HuyetKiem said:
clean them real good with tooth brush and toothpaste then store in filtered water.
And floss them, too.

UCLA has us keep them in 10% formalin solution.

eapleitez said:
UCLA has us keep them in 10% formalin solution.
I never figured out where to get that stuff. I just used water and a little bleach.