Pulling strings to get into med school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldenstandard2

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do people really pull strings to get into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

While I was applying I was on this string cheese kick, so I guess I pulled strings of cheese. String cheese is really delicious.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes. it's not as common as some cynical pre-meds would have you believe, but it happens.

i agree that string cheese is wonderful.

This thread has the potential to end not so well.

:corny:

If by "pull strings" you mean "go through a long application and interview process" then yes.

If you ask me, you need to have the minimum to be even considered. After that, it becomes as they say in the real world, it's more who you know than what you know.

Does having a good relationship with a director of admissions really help? Just a question, not trying to start anything.

I'm sure it must happen here and there. Personally I know a couple of people who, frankly, I wonder what they are doing in medicine to begin with....so it's not that far-fetched...

Does having a good relationship with a director of admissions really help? Just a question, not trying to start anything.

actually, i think it does. the week after i was offered an interview at a school, the director of admissions happened to be at my undergrad university speaking to the pre-meds. i went to the talk and introduced myself and let him know i would be coming to interview in a couple of months. when i showed up on interview day he recognized me, ended up being one of two to interview me, and ultimately i was accepted.

then again, if you have a relationship with the director of admissions BEFORE applying, it might actually hurt you since that person might feel that it's necessary to recuse themselves from voting or whatever on your application... but this is just speculation.

Edited

I misread something and now I wish I could delete this post.

definitely

if you're incharge of hiring people, wouldn't you naturally have a bias towards someone you know/like?

obviously LOL. Wish I did...

I hate string cheese. Terrible stuff.