carwreck

0.3k Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
While I was applying I was on this string cheese kick, so I guess I pulled strings of cheese. String cheese is really delicious.

nu2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
Los Angecagoveland
Status
Medical Student
yes. it's not as common as some cynical pre-meds would have you believe, but it happens.

i agree that string cheese is wonderful.

GoldShadow

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
If by "pull strings" you mean "go through a long application and interview process" then yes.

pride4jc727

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Status
Medical Student
If you ask me, you need to have the minimum to be even considered. After that, it becomes as they say in the real world, it's more who you know than what you know.

BlackDr2b

JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Chocolate City!
Status
Medical Student
Does having a good relationship with a director of admissions really help? Just a question, not trying to start anything.

Hurricane95

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2005
Miami, FL
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm sure it must happen here and there. Personally I know a couple of people who, frankly, I wonder what they are doing in medicine to begin with....so it's not that far-fetched...

10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2006
Status
Medical Student

nu2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
Los Angecagoveland
Status
Medical Student
Does having a good relationship with a director of admissions really help? Just a question, not trying to start anything.
actually, i think it does. the week after i was offered an interview at a school, the director of admissions happened to be at my undergrad university speaking to the pre-meds. i went to the talk and introduced myself and let him know i would be coming to interview in a couple of months. when i showed up on interview day he recognized me, ended up being one of two to interview me, and ultimately i was accepted.

then again, if you have a relationship with the director of admissions BEFORE applying, it might actually hurt you since that person might feel that it's necessary to recuse themselves from voting or whatever on your application... but this is just speculation.

Mister Pie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Edited

I misread something and now I wish I could delete this post.

bozz

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2007
Status
definitely

if you're incharge of hiring people, wouldn't you naturally have a bias towards someone you know/like?