I'm afraid I won't get into med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnqwFlake

Reaction score
I'm afraid I won't get into med school. There's been so much stuff going on and my GPA is bad. Right now as a senior, I'm sitting at a 3.3. If you count only the last 3 years, my GPA is 3.51. I haven't gotten a C or F since my freshman year. I've been mostly getting B's and B+ with some A's. I got F's during my freshman year because I needed to leave home. It was stressing me out and my old college didn't have dorms so I transferred colleges when I was in the middle of taking classes. I dropped those classes midway that led to F's. Ever since covid, I've been back home and not at my dorm because I'm immunocompromised. I plan to do post-bacc for one year after I graduate this year but it just seems so pointless because I won't get into medical school. I really want to go to an MD school but I can't get straight A's. I'm so stressed out being at home because my abusive mom has my siblings being aggressive, destructive, and lying. The police have been called to my house a couple of times and now a social worker is supposed to come around to prove this since we have evidence to prove this but that stresses me out too. I don't think medical schools would even accept my decent GPA and B's. Idk if they would even give me a chance. I can't think of any other job I would love more than being a doctor but with my grades, it doesn't seem like I should try especially if I continue to get B's this semester and throughout my post-bacc. Is it hopeless to try to get into medical school at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

First, to address your main questions, yes you can get into med school with a 3.3 GPA.

But I think the most concerning part of this post is your home life. Are there any other relatives or friends you can stay with? Your current safety should come first. Med school will always be there, but you shouldn't be trying to force something if you don't think you have the right conditions right now to succeed.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
apply to DO schools

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately, I don't have anyone else I can stay with. Everyone else in my family lives out of state. I've been trying my best but I don't think I can get all A's to get at least a 3.6 GPA to try for MD. I've also been waiting to take the MCAT because of my home life.
I’m so sorry to hear about your situation. I can’t imagine the toll this must be taking on you.

Doing well on the MCAT the first time you take it is crucial. So is doing well on your post-bac. But it sounds like the other factors of your life are impacting your ability to focus, and will take priority over your academics.

I don’t want to intrude on your life decisions, but if I was in your position, I would probably just get my degree, get a job, get into a more stable living condition, and then start chipping away at the post bac/studying for the MCAT. If you’re a science undergrad, there are a lot of job options out there. People recommend scribing for the clinical experience. Personally, I am fond of clinical research positions. You’re usually considered a full employee as opposed to a contractor (which some scribes are) so you get full benefits like health insurance and tuition assistance if you’re at a university.

I know it how it feels to want to get started. It took me over 4 years of working full time to finish my post bac and study for the MCAT. And that’s after I decided I wanted to go to med school. I am much older than my classmates but I don’t regret at all my deviated path. Working taught me so much about professionalism, interacting with people, and offered me financial stability when applying to med school.

If you want to apply now, depending on your MCAT, you most likely would be a good candidate for DO schools. Depending on how your GPA shakes out, maybe MD. But please take care of yourself first.

Reactions: 4 users
OP how is your health? You don’t mention the Chrones in this post at all. Hopefully that means it is still under control. I know you are in a hurry but you have to slow down and do it right or you will have a very hard time achieving your goals. I think you should seriously consider @lumya ’s suggestion. Graduate, get a job, get your own apartment and get yourself to a much better place physically and emotionally. Always remember that you are setting yourself up for success in your future and that will take time. You also need to seriously consider DO schools. I can’t imagine why you are so against even considering DO schools. With your GPA DO is a much more viable path to medicine.

Reactions: 5 users
I really don’t think this should be a huge fear. They are opening up med schools left and right in the country. Plus you have Carib schools that will gladly take your money. I was at a a conference they were looking for investors in a new school just off the Florida keys I think. Students now should be sweating this stuff a lot less.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
OP how is your health? You don’t mention the Chrones in this post at all. Hopefully that means it is still under control. I know you are in a hurry but you have to slow down and do it right or you will have a very hard time achieving your goals. I think you should seriously consider @lumya ’s suggestion. Graduate, get a job, get your own apartment and get yourself to a much better place physically and emotionally. Always remember that you are setting yourself up for success in your future and that will take time. You also need to seriously consider DO schools. I can’t imagine why you are so against even considering DO schools. With your GPA DO is a much more viable path to medicine.
As of right now, it's so far under control based on my scans. My goal is to be a surgeon and I've been told if I go to a DO school it's basically impossible to become one and I'd have an easier chance at being one if I went to an MD school. That's the reason I'm against going to a DO school.

I’m so sorry to hear about your situation. I can’t imagine the toll this must be taking on you.

Doing well on the MCAT the first time you take it is crucial. So is doing well on your post-bac. But it sounds like the other factors of your life are impacting your ability to focus, and will take priority over your academics.

I don’t want to intrude on your life decisions, but if I was in your position, I would probably just get my degree, get a job, get into a more stable living condition, and then start chipping away at the post bac/studying for the MCAT. If you’re a science undergrad, there are a lot of job options out there. People recommend scribing for the clinical experience. Personally, I am fond of clinical research positions. You’re usually considered a full employee as opposed to a contractor (which some scribes are) so you get full benefits like health insurance and tuition assistance if you’re at a university.

I know it how it feels to want to get started. It took me over 4 years of working full time to finish my post bac and study for the MCAT. And that’s after I decided I wanted to go to med school. I am much older than my classmates but I don’t regret at all my deviated path. Working taught me so much about professionalism, interacting with people, and offered me financial stability when applying to med school.

If you want to apply now, depending on your MCAT, you most likely would be a good candidate for DO schools. Depending on how your GPA shakes out, maybe MD. But please take care of yourself first.
I did think about it but I feel like it'd be best to do my post-bacc as soon as possible to get it over with. When I start it, the situation will hopefully be over because the social worker will see the negative influence my mom has on the kids. I plan to take 3 semesters to try to get a higher GPA but if not then I'd try another 1 or 2 semesters after that.

As of right now, it's so far under control based on my scans. My goal is to be a surgeon and I've been told if I go to a DO school it's basically impossible to become one and I'd have an easier chance at being one if I went to an MD school. That's the reason I'm against going to a DO school.
I’m not sure that is really the case. One thing is for sure, you can’t be a surgeon if you aren’t a doctor.

Reactions: 3 users