Purdue c/o 2015 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EnvyPointers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where arrrrrrre you future Boilermakers? Counting the days until December... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying, even though it is a long shot since I am IS, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey heyyyyyy. :) Sooooo thankful there isn't a supplemental, haha!

Hey Envy I'm here to...lol See ya in class :)

Woot woot! Boiler up!! Good news for you OOSers... Y'all know about the expanded 2015 class, correct? 14 seats have been added to c/o 2015. Originally I heard that those seats were open to either IS or OOS... NOW I have heard from a Vet who was on last year's admissions that it's all OOS. Not sure which way it's going, but I would assume all seats to the OOS people because it would be more money for the school. So sad for us Indiana folk though. :(

I am so glas there's no supplemental too... and very happy that they send out letters as early as they do because this whole waiting thing is not working well for me.

I had not heard about the expanded class! That is super exciting news. I'm still very skeptical about my chances, but I'll be happy about anything that may increase the likelihood of acceptance! And December will definitely be here before we all know it!

Already have had several graduate classes in LYNN building... Looking forward to walking down there for an interview (hopefully)!!!

Jollybluejay- I'm moving to Lafayette in December and am wondering if you could help me out with what areas of town are good for looking for a place to live. I've never been to Indiana before and don't know anyone in the area to ask... I'd like to be close enough to campus to bike but far enough away so that I don't have a bunch of freshman puking in front of my house... any tips?

Hey OneDay... I know you directed that question to JollyBlueJay, but I might be able to help!!

I grew up in Lafayette and spent the first 22 years of my life there.

My husband used to go to Purdue and work on campus and had a great bike commute from the south side of Lafayette, close to the bridge. How long of a bike commute do you want? Are you wanting to live in Lafayette or West Lafayette? Both are great cities, but there's parts you might want to avoid... (I personally would not choose to live on the North side...)

OneDay, there is a glut of housing on the West Lafayette side, so you can get a good deal on an apt. and be close enough to not worry about driving to campus & messing with parking. I live 1.3 miles away and don't have freshmen puking in my yard. 10 min on bike, 20 min walk.

Right now I ride 2 1/2 miles each way for work with no problem... Probably five miles would be the furthest I would want just because of time... Lafayette is the area on the side of the river opposite campus, correct? Do you guys still ride/walk in the winter? How bad are the winters there (snow, etc)? I've never been to the midwest so I don't know what to expect! Do you guys live in houses or apartment complexes/townhomes? I would really like a townhouse/duplex/house rather than an apartment...

So, I am gathering that West Lafayette and south Lafayette are both good areas so I will focus my search there. Is north Lafayette "ghetto"?

I lived in New England for the past five years where rental prices are very expensive, so I don't know what to make of the prices I am seeing (whether they indicate that a place is a piece of crap or if it just the normal price for the area).

Members don't see this ad :)
I walk in the winter, don't ride my bike. It's rainy, slushy, snowy, crappy until April or so. I live in a house that I bought on the West side, but I did rent for a few years. There are houses available all over the place in my area, which is New Chauncey. It is a mix of faculty, some students, and residential. There are also townhouses around.

North Lafayette is ghetto. I worked as a delivery driver for 3 years, and it definitely is a dump, as is central Lafayette (note:this is my opinion, not trying to offend those that heart Lafayette). South Lafayette is nice, but again, the distance and parking are a killer.

Some of the apartments around here are grossly overinflated in terms of price. These are "luxury" apartments that really aren't necessarily better. An average rental house in my neighborhood goes for $650ish. If you want help with something specific, feel free to PM. It can be tough without knowing the area.

Also to note, if I don't get in to Purdue but do get in somewhere else, I may have a house for rent...:D

Thank you so much Marsala! My boyfriend really wants to see places before we rent, but personally I would rather have something lined up so I don't face weeks of homelessness when I arrive to the area! If I have any questions about places I see, I'll shoot you a PM if you don't mind :)

Hi OneDay!
I apologize for my delay... Graduate school had me insanely busy for awhile.

I came from New England too! Where are you from? I had done my undergrad/worked 2 years in RI before coming here. Because it's like a 20 hour drive, I couldn't view any apartments/houses and wasn't too keen on trusting strangers. Sooo I went the apartment complex route. It's a company, so they can't be THAT bad, and several come furnished! Granted it's not much (couch, table, chairs, cabinets, washer/dryer, etc.), it's helpful when trying to make your life in a sedan!

I am living at The Lodge apartments. It's not too bad! 2 bedroom/2 full bath, $435/bed. Free cable, internet (it's awful, sooo awful), gym, pool, other perks! Check out apartmentratings.com or other sites that people rate their experiences (obviously take everything with a grain of salt).

Warning when moving here: 1 out of 3 cars is a pick-up truck, pork/beef is almost in every meal (good luck eating out as a vegetarian), and you'll never miss mountains/hills so much! But the weather is nicer! Winters are mild (don't listen to the "scary" stories), the sky is almost always beautiful, and the corn is really tasty.
Hope this helps!!

It's killing me to see everyone else have their statuses updated at the schools they applied to. I'm hoping that someone knows some secret magical portal where we can status check at Purdue? :laugh::laugh:

I did my undergrad at Purdue - lived 1.5 years in Village Manor Apartments - they are nothing fancy - but - they are quiet - off campus but you can bike there or its right on the bus line - not too highly priced and I never had any problems - if there was ever a maintence issue they fixed it right away.

I fully plan on returning there when Purdue finally realizes how incredible I am and that they must have me in their program :)

Hi Envy,
I gave them a call at student affairs and asked directly if all of my material had been received. They were polite, checked for me, and told me everything had gotten there safe and sound. Hope this helps!

Hi OneDay!
I apologize for my delay... Graduate school had me insanely busy for awhile.

I came from New England too! Where are you from? I had done my undergrad/worked 2 years in RI before coming here. Because it's like a 20 hour drive, I couldn't view any apartments/houses and wasn't too keen on trusting strangers. Sooo I went the apartment complex route. It's a company, so they can't be THAT bad, and several come furnished! Granted it's not much (couch, table, chairs, cabinets, washer/dryer, etc.), it's helpful when trying to make your life in a sedan!

I am living at The Lodge apartments. It's not too bad! 2 bedroom/2 full bath, $435/bed. Free cable, internet (it's awful, sooo awful), gym, pool, other perks! Check out apartmentratings.com or other sites that people rate their experiences (obviously take everything with a grain of salt).

Warning when moving here: 1 out of 3 cars is a pick-up truck, pork/beef is almost in every meal (good luck eating out as a vegetarian), and you'll never miss mountains/hills so much! But the weather is nicer! Winters are mild (don't listen to the "scary" stories), the sky is almost always beautiful, and the corn is really tasty.
Hope this helps!!

I lived in Rhode Island for 3 years and Mass for 2 and a half. I drive a truck, and I'll definitely miss mountains/hills, but I'm glad to hear the winters are mild. I was worried about that (I really hate the cold, but I don't like the south either, so I'm kind of stuck!).

What graduate program are you in? Did you apply to Purdue vet?

Hi Oneday,
Sorry, this is VERY belated.

I'm in an animal science grad program, working with the USDA research behavioral unit. Yup! I applied to Purdue, haven't heard anything yet, but fingers are crossed!!

Where from RI are you? I worked at the Newport Animal hospital (with sattelites in Newport and Jamestown) for 2 years as a vet tech! And went to school at Roger Williams in Bristol... Miss that place!!!

The cold part of winter is still pretty cold here, but it's more windchill than actual cold. And little snow =( Bring on your truck, you'll fit in perfectly!!! =)

I'm currently doing my undergrad at Purdue and have lived in IN all my life. I was very grateful that there wasn't a supplemental, but I'm just anxiously waiting to hear back. So what are we, about a month away now?

I'm currently doing my undergrad at Purdue and have lived in IN all my life. I was very grateful that there wasn't a supplemental, but I'm just anxiously waiting to hear back. So what are we, about a month away now?

I was creepin' on the interview invites thread from last year, and it looks like people got invitations around 12/18. Coincidentally, I'm done with finals right around then, so it'd be a wonderful moment to be done with finals and get that in the mail. :)

Yep breenie! Me too. I have a countdown to "December 15th-ish". My husband already knows that the mail is off limits to him for the whole month of December. :rolleyes:

Yep breenie! Me too. I have a countdown to "December 15th-ish". My husband already knows that the mail is off limits to him for the whole month of December. :rolleyes:

Haha, awesome! I might have to have a chat with my roommates about mail duties!

I was creepin' on the interview invites thread from last year, and it looks like people got invitations around 12/18. Coincidentally, I'm done with finals right around then, so it'd be a wonderful moment to be done with finals and get that in the mail. :)

12/18 = my birthday. Yes please!

Usually my roommates let me get the mail, but I'm finishing finals right up around that time and I was wondering what would happen if I should already be at home for break and the letter is sent to my apt? Oh, the suspense! But my roommates are pretty good at alerting me if I get anything that looks "suspicious-school-type" haha.

Sadly my finals started the day after I recieved my rejection letter last year in December - just a warning for those of you who will be taking finals - may be worth a few days of suspense over the difficulty of dealing with a rejection and continuing to be serious about studying for finals. If I could go back I think I would have given my husband the task of mail collection until finals were over.

~ 3 weeks and counting!!

Good idea Cypress. :)

So, my finals run December 9 through the 16th. It would be a good idea if Purdue got a letter to me on the 17th so I can focus. ;)

Good luck to everyone!! It is killing me seeing the interview invites thread fill up.

Sadly my finals started the day after I recieved my rejection letter last year in December - just a warning for those of you who will be taking finals - may be worth a few days of suspense over the difficulty of dealing with a rejection and continuing to be serious about studying for finals. If I could go back I think I would have given my husband the task of mail collection until finals were over.

~ 3 weeks and counting!!

Ahhhh good point!

Hey, just wanted to give everyone an update. Per Connie in admissions, we want an e-mail from Purdue. ;-) Rejections are apparently being snail mailed and interview invites are being e-mailed. :D Now my poor e-mail is going to blow up because I will be checking it every 5 seconds.

Hey, just wanted to give everyone an update. Per Connie in admissions, we want an e-mail from Purdue. ;-) Rejections are apparently being snail mailed and interview invites are being e-mailed. :D Now my poor e-mail is going to blow up because I will be checking it every 5 seconds.

That's exciting! I prefer email way more than snail mail. Did she say when we should be expecting to hear?

Oops, sorry. Letters will be "mailed mid-week next week", no specific times about e-mails, but I would imagine around the same time.:luck:

AHHHHH!

Why do they have to do this right during finals? :( I'm so nervous now!!!

I haven't even applied yet and I'm nervous! Can't wait to hear updates next week. Good luck! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Good luck everyone! Fingers crossed our mailboxes are devoid of letters bearing the Purdue return address....

Seriously? Right during finals? Ah well, at least I'll know one way or another... :xf:for email!

And I agree, I think I'm going to explode my email too :lame:

Oops, sorry. Letters will be "mailed mid-week next week", no specific times about e-mails, but I would imagine around the same time.:luck:

Now I am getting really nervous/excited...this week I will have to try to keep my focus on finals!!

Itttttt's Monday, Boilermakers-to-be! Invites come out sooooon. :O

I have started the mailbox stalking, and the Purdue thread watching. Not gonna lie, I am so anxious. Finals aren't helping.

I'm checking my email like crazy, too! I can't tell if sleep deprivation from studying for finals is making me feel screwy or this waiting game!!

I've literally been refreshing my e-mail every 15 minutes since 7 A.M. this morning. :p It's going to be a looooooooong couple of days... :xf::xf::xf:

Mini-rant: I have finals this week and into a little of next week, and so I was going to have my roommate take the Purdue letter out of the mail so I didn't have to deal with it. Well, since we now know the invites are being emailed, I'd know even if she took it out of the mail. I've been kind of stressing about it, and worried I'll go bonkers if I have to deal with rejection during finals. :/ I talked to one of my friends about it, and she was like, "Well whatever just don't freak out about it."

Don't freak out about it? I only applied to 3 schools, so a rejection from a school this early in the game would really suck. :/ And Purdue isn't my #1 choice if I got into all three (for financial reasons, I love Indiana :(), but I am not counting on getting in everywhere. Don't freak out about it? Pfffft.

Mini-rant: I have finals this week and into a little of next week, and so I was going to have my roommate take the Purdue letter out of the mail so I didn't have to deal with it. Well, since we now know the invites are being emailed, I'd know even if she took it out of the mail. I've been kind of stressing about it, and worried I'll go bonkers if I have to deal with rejection during finals. :/ I talked to one of my friends about it, and she was like, "Well whatever just don't freak out about it."

Don't freak out about it? I only applied to 3 schools, so a rejection from a school this early in the game would really suck. :/ And Purdue isn't my #1 choice if I got into all three (for financial reasons, I love Indiana :(), but I am not counting on getting in everywhere. Don't freak out about it? Pfffft.

I only applied to 4 school and Purdue is my 1st choice since it is in-state for me and I'm currently and undergrad here. I guess getting into Purdue, for me, doesn't really give me a lot of hope into getting into other schools...I feel like such a Debbie-Downer about myself lol. I get this weird mindset that I try to be opposite, but I always have the "what if" in the background if I don't get in, what I am going to do? I'm tired of my family, co-workers and friends saying I will get in...it's driving me nuts!

I only applied to 4 school and Purdue is my 1st choice since it is in-state for me and I'm currently and undergrad here. I guess getting into Purdue, for me, doesn't really give me a lot of hope into getting into other schools...I feel like such a Debbie-Downer about myself lol. I get this weird mindset that I try to be opposite, but I always have the "what if" in the background if I don't get in, what I am going to do? I'm tired of my family, co-workers and friends saying I will get in...it's driving me nuts!

Yeah, I get tired of that too. :/ Easy for them to say, they know we're awesome! They're not the ones proving it to an admissions committee. I was literally screeeeeaming when I got my interview invite to Mizzou, and none of my family batted an eye. I was like, "Guys, you don't understand, this is a big deal."

Having dealt with my initial rejection from Purdue last year right before my 3 finals started I feel your pain - I am IS and knew that my rejection from Purdue meant I would be rejected everywhere else - it was a very dark day....

But....I rocked my finals - because - I knew that in order to not get another rejection letter I had to kill those classes - I just kept my mind focused (after several hours of soaking in the rejection) so that the rejection didn't get the best of me.

To all of you with finals this week - GOOD LUCK!! Rock it out - damn the man!

Rejection or interview finals will go on and getting good grades is the only way they'll ever take us.

Very true Cypress, still need to concentrate on getting those grades!

Okay, so it's after 5 P.M. "Purdue time" and nothing evil in the mail today. Sooo... I can stop refreshing my poor Blackberry and actually study. :laugh: Does Tuesday technicall count as "mid-week"?

Okay, so it's after 5 P.M. "Purdue time" and nothing evil in the mail today. Sooo... I can stop refreshing my poor Blackberry and actually study. :laugh: Does Tuesday technicall count as "mid-week"?

I think so? Because otherwise only Wednesday would be "mid-week"... Right?

My final is on Thursday. And my birthday is on Saturday.

So if I could get my interview invite on FRIDAY, that'd be super, mmk? :D:xf: