Purdue c/o 2015 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was bored so I just looked them up, so like the lows in Jan are in the teens and the highs in the summer is 85, so overall not terrible weather compared to other places...but torandoes???? Does that actually even really occur in West Lafayette, this isn't Kansas, Texas, or Oklahoma

Um, we actually have had quite a few tornado watches this year in Indiana. One so bad that Purdue sent out emergency text messages telling students in Tippecanoe Co. to seek shelter in a basement. So yeah, tornadoes in Indiana.

On the up-side, we have all four seasons.

On the down-side, we have high humidity during the high summer months, and freezing temperatures during the low winter months. However, Spring and Fall are generally fine as long as there are no tornadoes. :)

I don't know. I've lived in Indiana my whole life, so I don't know anything different. The weather isn't great like San Diego, but it's not terrible like Juneau Alaska :laugh: And as far as I know, we may get snow, but we don't get anything like the nor'easters that hit the East Coast...

Members don't see this ad.

Oh Indiana weather, you just never know. It got so dry last summer all the grass was yellow and dieing. This spring it has not stopped raining. It makes a squishy noise when you walk through grass and there has been some flooding.

It seemed like we got snow and ice a lot more than normal this year. I would say normally we only have about 5-6 big snows (covering all the ground and taking awhile to melt away). Of course this is my weather perspective from Indianapolis. It is amazing how much the weather fluctuates with just and hour or so drive in Indiana. West Lafayette gets more snow, ice, etc than Indianapolis, but it is nothing compared to Minnesota, Michigan or some of the other Northern states. It depends on where you are coming from if you will be shocked by the weather.

This time of year is nice because you are pretty much over the cold and happy to see temperatures in the 50s 60s and even some in the 70s, but it can change day by day all the way into the first half of May. My birthday is May 9th and it has been warm enough that I have been sweating and wishing pools were open and then again it has been 40 degrees too.

Summers can get pretty miserable if you don't have air conditioning. We don't have temperatures in the upper 90s or 100s very often, but it is very humid as Tator said. I haven't traveled to dry climates, but when my parents went to Vegas my mom was saying 100 degrees out there was not as bad as 85 degrees here because of the humidity.

I hope this is helpful. Not exactly technical stats, but my perspective as an Indiana resident.

Yeah, Indiana weather is fun. It has been raining for about two weeks straight now, although back in April we had one or two days with 80-degree weather here in Indy. It was downright sweltering, then basically the next week I was scraping frost off my car in the mornings. I guess you just have to be prepared for anything. Yes, there are tornadoes, yes there are floods, yes there are droughts. There is even an earthquake fault line in southern Indiana that most people don't know about. We felt a slight earthquake here in Indy just about two years ago now, I think it was. Sometimes in January we get massive ice storms, and sometimes in January we get 70-degree weather. You never know what you're gonna get!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet, sounds a lot like jersey, the humidity and having actual seasons, although i think we keep flipping between summer and spring right now.

So I have a concern, I have not had that much communication from the admissions office since being accepted. Other than receiving some postcards meant for undergraduate freshman, and an email to disregard the postcards I have not heard much. I was wondering if anyone else has heard more? i.e. regarding vaccinations, courses, books and other requirements, etc.
I am on the [Dvm2015] email listserve but am i missing more? :confused:

Sweet, sounds a lot like jersey, the humidity and having actual seasons, although i think we keep flipping between summer and spring right now.

So I have a concern, I have not had that much communication from the admissions office since being accepted. Other than receiving some postcards meant for undergraduate freshman, and an email to disregard the postcards I have not heard much. I was wondering if anyone else has heard more? i.e. regarding vaccinations, courses, books and other requirements, etc.
I am on the [Dvm2015] email listserve but am i missing more? :confused:

JerseyBell,

My husband is still waiting on financial aid information. Granted he was waitlisted at first, but come on. And now they have locked him out of his Purdue email he still had access to from his animal nutrition class last semester. They seem to be taking steps in the wrong direction. How do you get on the DVM2015 email listserve? I don't think he is even on that.

JerseyBell,

My husband is still waiting on financial aid information. Granted he was waitlisted at first, but come on. And now they have locked him out of his Purdue email he still had access to from his animal nutrition class last semester. They seem to be taking steps in the wrong direction. How do you get on the DVM2015 email listserve? I don't think he is even on that.

Scooter - I was feeling the exact same way at the end of last week. Then my boyfriend pointed out that it's really only been two weeks since I heard I was pulled off the waitlist. Oops! :laugh: I just want things to get MOVING already, you know? But I don't think it's been too crazy long, right? I'm sure Purdue will get back to us about Fin Aid soon.

I didn't already have a Purdue email address, but maybe your husband has to sign up again using the instructions on the acceptance letter again? Then he will be on the listserve. Once I signed up, my purdue email was automatically on the list.

But SJB - I haven't gotten any more communication either. Just the postcards.

JerseyBell,

About the email, I called their IT help number to see why I couldn't log into the Purdue email thing after I accepted the admission offer and set everything up. Apparently if you set it for your Purdue email to be forwarded you can no longer log into the Purdue mail system, but all of your email is being forwarded. If you go back and tell it not to forward, you can log into the Purdue email system.

I have no idea about the DVM2015 listserve though. I got 2 emails yesterday addressed to the listserve but I don't know how I got on it.

I've been wondering if anything has gone out about vaccines, registration, etc. too. I know it's only May but I'm still impatient :).

Also, is there a facebook group or anything for the official Purdue c/o 2015? I was looking and couldn't find anything.

I was testing out the "forwarding" nature of the purdue email by emailing it from my gmail and seeing how long it would take to get back to my gmail. I emailed it last night and I have not received it since. I might end up dropping the forwarding feature just to receive emails in a more timely manner. :yawn:

ScooterLover - I looked on the New Student tab of the mypurdue.purdue.edu (department of redundancy department? :laugh:) I was able to accept my offer and pay the deposit there, as well as view my financial aid offer before i received it in the mail (you can accept it there as well). That is also where I set up my contact info, put my cell on the emergency notification system and set up the email.

As for the other info I am waiting impatiently for, I am more concerned about getting the paper that states I am required to receive the rabies vacc. I am hoping that my insurance will pay for the vacc if I can show that it is required. :xf: Also really not looking forward to having that done :scared:

ScooterLover - I looked on the New Student tab of the mypurdue.purdue.edu (department of redundancy department? :laugh:) :

Was confused for a minute on this comment and then got it and started laughing out loud. :laugh:

Ok new update my husband is not kicked out of the Purdue email, but his password had expired so now he can get in. When we go to the financial stuff it says there is a hold on his account because he is non degree seeking. Again this is the some problem we had when he needed his transcripts from the animal nutrition class. Purdue would not send transcripts to their own vet school because he needed to declare a major? What? He thought he got that fixed and here it is again.

Tator, Let me know if you get your information. Right now I am the nagging wife asking everyday if he has gotten anything. When he called they said 10 business days which would be this Thursday. They also said we would probably only get $8500 subsidized and little to no free money which she explained was because he was waitlisted. Thanks a lot.:poke: Maybe it is better not knowing that we will have to pay a zillion dollars in interest before he is even done with school.

Forgot to add: My husband said a Purdue grad vet he works with said they did the vaccinations on the first day of class. She said he felt like crap all day because of the rabies one. Don't know if they still do this and maybe it is just built into the tuition.

Last edited:
I was testing out the "forwarding" nature of the purdue email by emailing it from my gmail and seeing how long it would take to get back to my gmail. I emailed it last night and I have not received it since. I might end up dropping the forwarding feature just to receive emails in a more timely manner. :yawn:

Really? The IT people send an email with a summary of your question and solution. I got it maybe 30 min after I got off the phone with them and it had gone to the Purdue email and was forwarded to my gmail. I might go test mine now...

Really? The IT people send an email with a summary of your question and solution. I got it maybe 30 min after I got off the phone with them and it had gone to the Purdue email and was forwarded to my gmail. I might go test mine now...

Yeah, I'm trying it one more time, just in case I *accidentally* deleted it without really seeing it. I can understand a wait of 30 minutes to an hour max, but not getting it within a day is kinda bad. :(

ScooterLover, Getting the vaccines at school would be nice, i'm just nervous about how harsh that rabies is going to be. My one friend said she turned out to be allergic to it and it was horrible :scared:

I stopped the forwarding feature and still could not get into my purdue email. I ended up emailing the IT peeps and they said that I had not completed my account set up. They gave me the address again, made up a new password, and sure enough, now I got into my email :p haha Now I feel like i'm in the loop :D

I've lived in Indiana my whole life and I don't really mind it most days haha. I mean yes, we've had an unusual long winter with colder temps this year than years past. The summers are humid but I really love fall here...probably my favorite time of the year. Spring gets a little wet with all the rain we've had but it's another season I don't mind. I actually like the summers here because I'm constantly outside. The winter months are more ice than snow here from where I'm from.

Just bring LOTS of different layers because sometimes its near 80 a day this past spring and dropped to 40 in a few hours. It's Indiana weather haha.

I've already been receiving emails from the DVM2015 listserve. I haven't heard or seen anything from my other classmates about a facebook group yet. I figured the PUSVM is going to send us a large package of what vaccines we need to get and other information soon...at least I hope so. I want them over and done with :)

For the waitlisters out there, is there still hope?

If anyone else is still looking for a roommate next year, I know some people have a couple of houses where they still need a 3rd roommate. Please PM me ASAP if you need somewhere to live or if you know of anyone else.

For the waitlisters out there, is there still hope?

The show isn't over until the fat lady sings! haha there is always a chance that you could be called off, depending if accepted students get to deffer a year, other slow-moving waitlists are still chugging along, and such. I believe that typically there is a chance you could get called off the wait-list into the start of the school year. its not a large chance to bank all your money on, but its still a small ray of sunshine that could still happen. :) Hang in there!