Purdue vs. Midwestern CCP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Natusia3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone has or had to make the choice between Purdue pharmacy and Midwestern CCP? I got accepted by both and waitlisted at UIC. I'm a Illinois resident and had my heart set on UIC but when I found out I was on the waiting list, I was presented with a huge dilemma. My reasons for choosing Purdue are that it is ranked 9th in the nation for pharmacy and that it has a nice college campus atmosphere. I'm not sure how much rankings matter but since midwestern isn't even ranked, I think I should go with the better school. At the same time, I live 30 min away from midwestern and would save some money on living expenses.

For any student at Purdue or MW, how would you evaluate the overall program, the quality of professors, and your experience with the school?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone has or had to make the choice between Purdue pharmacy and Midwestern CCP? I got accepted by both and waitlisted at UIC. I'm a Illinois resident and had my heart set on UIC but when I found out I was on the waiting list, I was presented with a huge dilemma. My reasons for choosing Purdue are that it is ranked 9th in the nation for pharmacy and that it has a nice college campus atmosphere. I'm not sure how much rankings matter but since midwestern isn't even ranked, I think I should go with the better school. At the same time, I live 30 min away from midwestern and would save some money on living expenses.

For any student at Purdue or MW, how would you evaluate the overall program, the quality of professors, and your experience with the school?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
go for the cheaper school...rankings do not matter

I would go with Purdue. More quality professors, plus, Purdue has good connections with Eli Lilly if you are interested pursuing non-traditional pharmacy career.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go with Purdue. More quality professors, plus, Purdue has good connections with Eli Lilly if you are interested pursuing non-traditional pharmacy career.

meaning?

Some Purdue students do their rotations up here in the Chicago area.

personally I would go with midwestern. How much more will it be to go out of state to purdue. I know some faculty at midwestern who are very good. Purdue is good but if there is a large dif. in tuition I would go with the other. JMHO now that I am paying off student loans...

Meaning if he/she is interested in working in industry Purdue would allow them to make the right connections because of proximity and connections of such company as Eli Lilly.

Purdue has very strong program. However, if you just want to do retail, then it does not matter which school you go to.

Obviously I'm biased but the reason I'd choose Purdue is the name recognition when you're interviewing for a job. That might be increasingly important as it gets harder to find a pharmacy job. Of course Purdue would probably be more expensive for you so its about weighing options.

One other thing; going to school at the campus of a big state school is an experience that I wouldn't trade for anything. I was always thankful that Purdue wasn't like many other pharmacy schools where the school you go to is in another part of the state away from the main campus. The whole experience of the campus life, sports, etc. were a big part of my pharmacy school experience.

Any other questions about Purdue feel free to ask me!

Lafayette Indiana vs. Chicago hmmm I would choose chicago even if purdues bball team is better.

I went to Midwestern and had a great experience there. The faculty is amazing and they really care about your learning as a student.

How would you rate Purdue's faculty? Do they care about their student's success? Also, I know that in the final year rotations are all over Indiana...how difficult was it commuting to various rotations and were you constantly moving at the end of each rotation?

Obviously I'm biased but the reason I'd choose Purdue is the name recognition when you're interviewing for a job. That might be increasingly important as it gets harder to find a pharmacy job. Of course Purdue would probably be more expensive for you so its about weighing options.

One other thing; going to school at the campus of a big state school is an experience that I wouldn't trade for anything. I was always thankful that Purdue wasn't like many other pharmacy schools where the school you go to is in another part of the state away from the main campus. The whole experience of the campus life, sports, etc. were a big part of my pharmacy school experience.

Any other questions about Purdue feel free to ask me!

How would you rate Purdue's faculty? Do they care about their student's success? Also, I know that in the final year rotations are all over Indiana...how difficult was it commuting to various rotations and were you constantly moving at the end of each rotation?

Since MW decided to make tuition for both out-state and in-state students the same (approx. 28k/year) and Purdue's tuition for being out of state would cost me 30k/year there isn't much of difference in tuition. The one thing that would cost me extra if I went to Purdue would be living expenses since if I went to Midwestern I would live at home.

Right now I'm leaning towards Purdue but I've also heard great things about MW so I don't know...tough decision awaits me.

I wouldn't have any basis for comparison but I was always pleased with the ability to communicate with professors. I felt like they cared about my success a great deal.

As far as rotations are concerned, the 2 professors who manage the rotation process are excellent. I have heard how some schools use a computer program that places students all over the state. That is not the case at Purdue, they do it by hand to keep everyone as happy as possible. You choose a main area to be based in and might also tell them other areas where you have housing opportunities for a month at a time. For example I was based in Lafayette since my family lives there, did a month in South Bend and stayed with my grandfather, and did a month in Indy and commuted since it was a rotation (Nuclear inpatient) that I really wanted.

I'm guessing that you'll be wanting to be in Northwest Indiana/Chicago and that is definitely an area where you could do all of your rotations because there are plenty of hospitals and all types of pharmacies there. Of course if there is one specialty rotation somewhere else you wanted to do I'm sure you could get it, you'd just have to work out the housing.

I hope that helps.

I wouldn't have any basis for comparison but I was always pleased with the ability to communicate with professors. I felt like they cared about my success a great deal.

As far as rotations are concerned, the 2 professors who manage the rotation process are excellent. I have heard how some schools use a computer program that places students all over the state. That is not the case at Purdue, they do it by hand to keep everyone as happy as possible. You choose a main area to be based in and might also tell them other areas where you have housing opportunities for a month at a time. For example I was based in Lafayette since my family lives there, did a month in South Bend and stayed with my grandfather, and did a month in Indy and commuted since it was a rotation (Nuclear inpatient) that I really wanted.

I'm guessing that you'll be wanting to be in Northwest Indiana/Chicago and that is definitely an area where you could do all of your rotations because there are plenty of hospitals and all types of pharmacies there. Of course if there is one specialty rotation somewhere else you wanted to do I'm sure you could get it, you'd just have to work out the housing.

I hope that helps.

Yes this helps a lot!! Thank you very much! I was worried that I would have to search for places to live every 3 months but if I can get some rotations in Chicago or Northwest Indiana that would make life a lot easier.

Yes this helps a lot!! Thank you very much! I was worried that I would have to search for places to live every 3 months but if I can get some rotations in Chicago or Northwest Indiana that would make life a lot easier.

Just as an FYI, Chicago State will have students on rotation by that time, so there may be less opportunities in the Chicago area for students that don't go to UIC, MWU, or CSU. The rotation sites are fairly saturated as it is, so I'm not sure what the impact of 60 more students will have.

Purdue has its own rotations. There are a number of preceptors who do precept for Purdue in the Chicago area. UIC COP actually does have a couple of Purdue students who come through each year.
I doubt they are going to drop them because many of these sites have been going on for years. Purdue will always have a leg up in Northwest Indiana.