Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Pure OMM Residency

Discussion in 'PM&R' started by HolisticMed, Apr 6, 2007.

1. HolisticMed

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Several hospitals offer OMM residencies - sometimes referred to as a neuro-musculoskeletal medicine residencies. While I am not familiar with the specifics of the different programs, St. Barnabas hospital in New York offers a 3 year neuromusculoskeletal medicine residency. These are NOT family medicine/omm residencies but rather a 3 year residency in PURE Osteopathic Manipulative medicine.

While I am aware that many osteopaths have very successful outpatient practices utilizing OMT, do hospitals hire full time attendings who's residency was in NMM? If so, can anybody be specific with regard to names of hospitals or even any salary information. Thanks !!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. delicatefade

delicatefade ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not sure of the hospital's name, but a faculty member at my school who taught in the OMM dept recently left for a full time position at a Michigan hospital which will consist of nothing but inpatient OMM. She is FM trained but I'm sure such a position would be perfect for a OMM/NMM trained D.O.

4. Brooklyndo2.1

Brooklyndo2.1 polytrauma monkey...
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    since currently the only w ay to be certified in neuromusculoskeletal medicine as a specialty (AOA) is either through the residency or through a "+1" fellowship, which is available after any aoa approved residency, ((or at least an AOA internship, i think---meaning DO internship md residency...im not sure about this one though))... most of the hospiital type jobs will be through schools... aka academic tract style careers. However, it is my understanding that traditonally, and still for the most part, people who choose to specialize in omm, one way or the other, choose to do private practice, either fully cash or fully out of network.

as for hospital salary info, sorry i think its too new for actual statistics....

5. NexusMD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    sorry to bring back this topic but anyone know the salary for a OMM/NMM in private practice? Like the average range?

6. Disciple

Disciple Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In medical school I rotated with a doc who had a pure OMM practice. He treated 8 patients/day and made average FP salary or less.

The advantages were the low stress level and ease of billing/small amount of administrative work.

It did make for a long, slow moving day, however. A couple of times I almost fell asleep while assisting wth craniosacral therapy.

7. Brooklyndo2.1

Brooklyndo2.1 polytrauma monkey...
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    right now im rotating with a gp/omm doc, out of network for all insurances otherwise cash. Treats 8-10 patients, good mix of gp stuff, and patients you would see in pain clinics. Salary-wise .... owns 2 houses on long island and one in arizona, im pretty sure he usually does 200+ per year if not more.

8. lucyz02

lucyz02 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wonder how these fee for service docs market themselves. Brooklyn, you should ask your attending how he initially set up his/her practice / referral base and report back to us.... I am curious. If they are willing to tell also find out what the average charge per visit/ how long tx, other misc info, sound like you have a good resource.

9. melancholy

melancholy 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Personally, I think it depends on multiple factors including your patient population, desire for a cash-only practice, where you practice, etc. On the high end, I've seen cash-only practices where they charge approximately $200-$400 an hour and probably see 4-8 patients a day. However, it probably takes favorable conditions in order to get a good patient base to support your practice.