Purgatory a.k.a. wait listed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fenrez

AT Stills worst nightmare
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My number one choice, Nova, put me on a waiting list. So as I was banging my head into the wall, I got to wondering about it.

Does anyone know the actual numbers involved with wait lists? As far as how many people on average get a seat from the alternate list?

It's hard to find those kind of numbers so I was wondering if there was someone "on the inside" that had access to alternate list data over the past couple of years.

Thanks in advance!

Okay, back to that wall...

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, it is different for every school. I would say on average that most schools take approximately 50-70 people from their wait-list. It takes some time though, many people hang onto acceptances until the end. I would say that if you are in the top 25 of the waitlist you can count on acceptance for sure. I am accepted at DO schools and have been waitlisted at a few MD schools, I am waiting for them to make my final decision. I am in the top quartile of each waitlist, and the adcom said to begin celebrating now... but having been through this process once already I don't count any chickens until they are hatched. Don't panic, there will be a lot of waitlist movement in the next few months, it is a painful process, but one that will seem like nothing compared to the stress of 1st year! Good luck:)