Pursuing a Career in Medicine as a Young Parent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlm414

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I searched for this and couldn't find it, so I hope it's okay to ask! I know there is a long laundry list of things you need to do to be considered a competitive applicant, but can being really young and having children hurt or help you? An MD told me medschool admissions are impressed by that because it helps give the appearance of being a well rounded person. However I've also heard it can cripple you because they worry that children can be a distraction. I'm a CMA, phlebotomist & EKG tech. I'm beginning my hobby of being an npc competitor and I volunteer frequently. I was told that's more than enough. But the books I'm currently reading, ie The Pre-Med Bible says there should be more. Such as an out of country experience and other things. Thoughts? TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't bother with the out of country experience. I have heard that those are looked upon as thinly disguised tourism. Maybe some good comes of it, but really it is a drop in the bucket. My thought is that there are people that need help right in your own backyard. It doesn't cost thousands of dollars to get there, so you could spend that money doing more for people here. Either that or send the money to someone that is already there long-term to help them.

I am not a young parent, my youngest just graduated from high school. But I was just accepted to three med schools before I canceled all my other interviews to save money. I found that I was welcomed by the interviewers because I could talk about more than what I did in college. The life experience really helps initiate the conversations.

Your experience in the health care field will probably be enough clinical experience. Now you should get some volunteer work. It does not need to be clinical. Then take all your prerequisite classes and the MCAT. You should be good to go. Now just to find the time to do all that and still have meaningful time with the little one. :)

dsoz

Would you consider having your child 2 months out of high school young? My wife graduated high school in June and had our son in August (she took a semester off). Five years later, she started medical school and received her MD last year. I should add she only applied to two schools. In the end, I believe it helped her but I'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
First baby was born in September, interviews were from October to December. I talked about it in every interview and was accepted to each one I interviewed at. I felt it helped me. I explained that my family was essential to me and motivated my success, but the conversations didn't usually expound more on my parenthood.

I can't see why it would hurt. If a school rejects you based on that the I wouldn't want to go there myself anyway. Like the other posters said, it definitely gives you something to talk about. From what I've read, adcoms like we'll rounded, mature candidates. Having a kid doesn't automatically make you mature, but if you are a good parent, it shows commitment and a facet that most other med students don't have. I'm sure interviewers with kids themselves like that they can relate.

Thank you everyone for the positive and honest feedback! It made me feel a lot better. :)

Don't bother with the out of country experience. I have heard that those are looked upon as thinly disguised tourism. Maybe some good comes of it, but really it is a drop in the bucket. My thought is that there are people that need help right in your own backyard. It doesn't cost thousands of dollars to get there, so you could spend that money doing more for people here. Either that or send the money to someone that is already there long-term to help them.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

My gut feeling on the subject tells me that the added responsibility of parenthood during undergrad will make your successes even more impressive, but it won't excuse your shortcomings. You should do everything you can to make yourself a competitive applicant, and not assume that adcoms will cut you any slack because you are a parent. They will probably not expect you to be doing any medical mission trips or studying abroad or anything like that, however, but just make sure you fill your app with meaningful activities. Since your time is limited, focus on quality of experiences over quantity.

I'm a mom to a three year old, and it's hard, but I just keep reminding myself I'm not the first parent to do this and I won't be the last.