Pursuing a Pharmacologist career- Opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

The1Student

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I'm a new BSN grad/RN who has an interest in a career in pharmacology. I loved my pharm classes and took additional related classes to go towards my degree. I thought about pharmacy school but I'm not sure if that's the direction I want to go in. I recently discovered the career of a pharmacologist (or pharmaceutical scientist?) and it really caught my interest. However, I'm having a hard time finding a lot of information about it besides the job duties.

Is this a job that is in demand and is it something that you'd recommend as a career for someone? What are the best employment settings for this career? I can't seem to find any job prospects. Also, what kind of salary do they make? I plan on getting a PhD.
Also, does being a clinical pharmacologist require an MD?

I would really love some opinions and/or any other information. Thank you!
 
I have also looked into pharmacology. I am currently working as an undergraduate researcher in my universities pharmacology department. I don't know what the job demand for a pharmacologist; I think it usually depends on what your research emphasis is. Job settings include academics (working for a university or college), industrial pharmaceutical companies, or hospitals. Which is best is pretty much an opinion.

I have just applied to pharmacy school, but I looked into PhD programs for pharmacology. I think it's harder to get into a PhD program than pharmacy school. Less people apply to these programs, but from my understanding, graduate programs tend to pick people who have researched in topics related (which is a huge variety) to the graduate professor's interests.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad