Pursuing an MD/JD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

biodreamer

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't seem to find any discussions concerning an MD/JD and I would like some direction and mentoring. I've only recently given this a lot of thought so please excuse any blatant naivete.

I'm interested in pursuing my JD after I complete my MD. My personal reasons are that I really enjoy logic and breaking down cases. I also absolutely love people and fixing problems that arise among them. I believe myself to have a voracious appetite for reading and intellectual stimulation as well as an intense focus and energy to achieve my goals.

I realize that this is a major commitment in regards to both time and effort. I'm confident in completing the workload as I have finished a double major and quadruple minor, with honors, while fulfilling all my med requirements (2 pubs, 400+ hours at hospital, EMT-B and tons of EC). I'm applying to med school next cycle and if I'm accepted, I hope to run for class president, etc. to further pad my application for law school. I am doing my background research on getting into law schools at TLS.

Some questions I have:
1. a) Would it be beneficial to simply apply to a JD/MD joint program? (As opposed to further padding my resume for four more years. Time is not an issue.)
b) Or even possibly apply after one or two years of med school?
2. Former/current law students and lawyers, what pitfalls/shortcuts should I be watching out for in the land of lawyers?
(I'm aware of the vast cultural differences between professional schools.)
3. What careers would be ideal for a JD/MD?

If anybody else is interested in this as well, feel free to ask me questions.
 
Have you thought about what type of profession you want in the long run? What, specifically, are you after that would require both a MD and JD?

I would like to point out that JDs can specialize in medical malpractice, corporate litigation (working closely with hospitals, etc), or any number of medically related areas.
 
Have you thought about what type of profession you want in the long run? What, specifically, are you after that would require both a MD and JD?

I would like to point out that JDs can specialize in medical malpractice, corporate litigation (working closely with hospitals, etc), or any number of medically related areas.

Thank you for the quick response.

To be quite frank, I have no idea but politics is not out of the question. I just really look forward to learning new things and meeting new people for a while.
 
I would steer you away from it. My superficial experience with MD/JD holders is that they don't practice using both degrees/training--that is, they switched from law to medicine, not that they wanted to pursue a hybrid career. This statement about not pursuing both degrees, either combined or sequentially, also makes sense to me.

I don't doubt your reasons, but it seems that having a JD isn't necessary.