Push for AOA match in dual- accredted program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUCPM

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO applicant who has interviewed at two dual-accredited programs (also rotated at these programs). At the interviews, they strongly encouraged me to go through the AOA match instead of going through the ACGME match. Just curious if anyone else has experienced the same push and wondering why.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
because the AOA match comes before the ACGME match. they would be able to contractually bind you without the risk of losing you to an ACGME program that you rank higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had 2 dually accredited programs ask me if I was going to apply AOA also...I presume so they could keep separate lists for both matches. I explained to them why not (most notably in SC there was only one dually accredited program and I didn't want to take chances) and they accepted it fine, but I imagine they run into this problem every cycle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I had 2 dually accredited programs ask me if I was going to apply AOA also...I presume so they could keep separate lists for both matches. I explained to them why not (most notably in SC there was only one dually accredited program and I didn't want to take chances) and they accepted it fine, but I imagine they run into this problem every cycle.

I guess I'll ask at each of my interviews, but I've been wondering about this...

I think so far I have 2 acgme interviews, 3 aoa interviews and 5 dual programs. The 2 acgme interviews are at good programs that on paper, I'd love to rank. But is it too risky to wait for the acgme match and rank the dual programs there? I assume each program has for example 4 DO spots, so if those 4 DO spots get snatched up in the aoa match (even if they rank you higher then those 4), then you're screwed? Or am I not understanding correctly?

That very quandary is why I only did the ACGME match. A big part of that reason was because my home program where I ended up matching was DO-friendly but had zero intention of becoming dually accredited.

Reactions: 1 user
That very quandary is why I only did the ACGME match. A big part of that reason was because my home program where I ended up matching was DO-friendly but had zero intention of becoming dually accredited.

Well if only I had more acgme interviews, I would happily do the same :) So it looks like it definitely is a quandary and I'll have some thinking to do come January.