Pushed test date back... study plan revision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emtweeter

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was originally scheduled to take the MCAT on 1/30 but my scores on the AAMC practice tests were plateauing so I decided to push my test date back. I was enrolled in the Kaplan prep course from November to late Jan. I've read the Kaplan books and done the end of the chapter quizes although they have tons of other tests/quizes in their online access (which I got extended until 4/10) that I did not complete. I didn't get into hardcore study mode until winter break (~Dec. 11th) and this quarter I'm a part-time student so I'll have plenty of time to study. Here are my practice test scores in chronological order:

Kaplan diagnostic (early Nov): 19
Kaplan FL#1 (early Dec): 24
AAMC#5 (12-23): 28
AAMC#7 (1-7): 26
AAMC#8 (1-11): 26
AAMC#6 (1-14): 29
AAMC#9 (1-19): 27

My friends thought I was burning out, but I took a good 2 day break before taking AAMC#9. Simply put, I just wasn't ready for the damn thing. I'm trying to decide how I should revise my study plan. I've still got the Kaplan online access which has a bunch of subject tests/quizes/you name it but I also have the EK series and EK 101 passages which I haven't touched and I'm thinking about making the switch. So what's it going to be? Kaplan with online access resources? EK? Other?

Your feedback is golden. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I was originally scheduled to take the MCAT on 1/30 but my scores on the AAMC practice tests were plateauing so I decided to push my test date back. I was enrolled in the Kaplan prep course from November to late Jan. I've read the Kaplan books and done the end of the chapter quizes although they have tons of other tests/quizes in their online access (which I got extended until 4/10) that I did not complete. I didn't get into hardcore study mode until winter break (~Dec. 11th) and this quarter I'm a part-time student so I'll have plenty of time to study. Here are my practice test scores in chronological order:

My friends thought I was burning out, but I took a good 2 day break before taking AAMC#9. Simply put, I just wasn't ready for the damn thing. I'm trying to decide how I should revise my study plan. I've still got the Kaplan online access which has a bunch of subject tests/quizes/you name it but I also have the EK series and EK 101 passages which I haven't touched and I'm thinking about making the switch. So what's it going to be? Kaplan with online access resources? EK? Other?

(Without knowing your weaknesses/subscores)...I think you should...try different sources...before you exhaust your FLs...because your scores have very odd trends.

Definitely try EK series and TBR physics.

For Kaplan online resources, do their FLs (maybe not the VR, use EK 101 for VR) and topical tests AFTER reviewing materials from EKs and...if possible TBR physics/gen chem.

It looks as though your understanding is a little shakey. Maybe you understand the concepts but you haven't been enough drilling with questions.

I'd suggest picking up the TPR (The Princeton Review) Hyperlearning books, EK Bio, EK Bio 1001, EK Chem 1001, EK Physics 1001, Orgo 1001, and Verbal 101, and the TBR (The Berkeley Review) books (I bought the gen chem/orgo/physics books but no bio)

Notice I didn't say any EK books (except the EK Bio) but EK 1001. IMO, the EK books and Kaplan books are too superficial if you're not in the mode of thinking/critiquing/analyzing everything. And this is coming from personal experience with both books. The EK Bio book is VERY good but the rest leave a lot to be desired.

If you went along your studies and were like "uh huh okay yeah i get this or i get that" it'll give you a false sense of security.

When I went through my first round of studying a long time ago, the EK books gave me a sense that everything was hurried and explained in way too little detail. For physics (i'm an engineer), I was more than fine with this, but every other section was not that great. And reading the EK Physics I could see how for an average student (or even above average) it would cause problems if you didn't have enough background in it.

So I recommend TPR Hyperlearning books for the content review (where you read to learn/retain/understand the concepts). I think it does a better job than TBR in this regard (especially on organic chemistry where TBR is just terribly and overly written). You won't go wrong with TBR in general chemistry or physics, but if you're going to get TPR hyperlearning books, why go through the material twice? It's not like rereading about F=MA twice in two books is going to make much of a difference, the equation and the concepts and the way they are applied are quite limited and both prep you well so you're better off using your time doing the practice passages then. The only exception to this generalization is where one concept was poorly written (which is HIGHLY VARIABLE FROM PERSON TO PERSON) in one book, and you can use the other source for clarification/reinforcement if necessary. But again, TPRH is pretty solid.

One of the most important things is retention. Probably the most important thing for the matter. And being able to remember something THROUGH UNDERSTANDING is much more pleasant than memorizing rotely. It feels kind of carthartic even.

When I read TPR, it just sticks in my head because they write it for the average guy/gal. To clarify, I have used their books in the past in high school and for a few premed classes (they actually repeated a lot of stuff from their AP PHysics book int heir TPR Hyperlearning course believe it or not!), and I attribute the way they broke down chemistry and physics in easy to understand (non-textbook language) and concise language to my As in those classes.

In fact, if I didn't use a lot of review books for the early/foundational classes, my understanding would be a little more shakey.

But yeah, that's what I like about TPR. It just *makes sense.* And it sticks. And it's not overly written/dense, and not too short like EK to the point where you're like uhhh wtf?

EK may have pretty glossy pictures for instance, but that's crap compared to the TPRH books.

Btw, I'm scoring 35-40s right now on my AAMCs, but take it for what it's worth, as I'm no genius, I'm probably slightly above average when I'm feeling focused and on other days I feel below average.

And don't forget that the people who wrote the TPR books were the people who now created the TBR books (according to TheBerkeleyReview @ here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9115622&postcount=23).

You might not need the TBR books if you have the Kaplan online material. In my experience, the Kaplan books suck but their practice material (from what I've done so far) has been quite alright. A little detail oriented but nothing that would hurt. Seeing as you plunked down $2000 on a Kaplan course (I bet you feel like you wasted the money now huh?), you might elect not to spend any more money on more than the bare minimum, so it really depends where you're weak.

Last edited:
I think it does a better job than TBR in this regard (especially on organic chemistry where TBR is just terribly and overly written).

You might not need the TBR books if you have the Kaplan online material. In my experience, the Kaplan books suck but their practice material (from what I've done so far) has been quite alright.

I agree with everything except the above two statements in bold. OP, just so you know that is Mr. T's opinion on organic and not the general opinion on SDN. I don't think the TBR Organic book is terribly and overwritten. I think it's their second best book. I think going through TBR for organic is necessary if you want a high score unless of course you have a master's or Ph.D. in organic, in which case you should just do the passages.

I do think that the kaplan online material is good but I don't think they can replace the quality of TBR passages. How I look at it is that you already spent 2 grand so why not spend $240 more to make darn sure you will be as prepared as possible. I think the quality of practice you get from TBR for $240 is worth more than the quality of practice you get from Kaplan for $2000 dollars. I also think TBR offers more questions in their books than Kaplan does with their online material. I'm pretty sure Kaplan has less than 3000 questions and I know TBR has more than 3000 questions in their books with about 95% being passage based.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

Edit: I've been saying it for a while now and it still holds true that the TPR Hyperlearning books are by far the most underrated set of books out there. I think they have better content review for Bio and Phsics that any other MCAT prep book out there.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response guys. Maybe I should have been more specific in the break down of my scores.

Kaplan FL#1 (early Dec): 24 (8 PS/8 VR/8 BS)
AAMC#5 (12-23): 28 (10/10/8)
AAMC#7 (1-7): 26 (10/6/10)
AAMC#8 (1-11): 26 (10/6/10)
AAMC#6 (1-14): 29 (9/10/10)
AAMC#9 (1-19): 27 (11/7/9)

Between today and 4/10, I will have roughly 15 or so days I'm unable to study due to an immersion trip, breaks, finals, and a Vegas trip :D. The reason why I am leaning towards EK is because I'll be able to finish a thorough content review with ~3 weeks left for practice tests. Mr. T - do you think it is possible to finish off TPR with the time that I have? The EK 1001 practice problems seems like a great idea, but I'm not too sure how much of it I'll use. Perhaps I can get away with using the Kaplan online materials? And yes. The Kaplan course = waste of money.

Thanks for the response guys. Maybe I should have been more specific in the break down of my scores.

Kaplan FL#1 (early Dec): 24 (8 PS/8 VR/8 BS)
AAMC#5 (12-23): 28 (10/10/8)
AAMC#7 (1-7): 26 (10/6/10)
AAMC#8 (1-11): 26 (10/6/10)
AAMC#6 (1-14): 29 (9/10/10)
AAMC#9 (1-19): 27 (11/7/9)

Between today and 4/10, I will have roughly 15 or so days I'm unable to study due to an immersion trip, breaks, finals, and a Vegas trip :D. The reason why I am leaning towards EK is because I'll be able to finish a thorough content review with ~3 weeks left for practice tests. Mr. T - do you think it is possible to finish off TPR with the time that I have? The EK 1001 practice problems seems like a great idea, but I'm not too sure how much of it I'll use. Perhaps I can get away with using the Kaplan online materials? And yes. The Kaplan course = waste of money.

Yeah you have enough time it's a fast read but you have to be focused and not goof off (about 4-5 hours of practice time every day will suffice, don't underdo it and don't overdo it either).

It's logical, clear, easy to read, written at an 8th grade level (which is why it is so nice lol), and it prepares you well.

Your content comprehension seems alright/ok, so you're better off spending more time drilling and doing lots of practice problems and less time reviewing the content material over and over again. So probably roughly 65-70% drilling and 30-35% content review.

The EK 1001s are a bunch of discretes which will hammer out any weaknesses that you may or may not have realized which is what kills a lot of kids on this test when they think they know it well enough, but they really don't.

The TPRH science workbook has a combination of passages and discretes.

Seeing as you already went through the content review once, i think you'll be able to go by faster through the TPRH books (or TBR if you go through them --- word of caution: they will take some time to ship upwards to 2-4 weeks sometimes) and go over any deficiencies rather quickly.

We're on 2/9/10 so you have roughly 2 months? That's plenty of time to get on the books. If I were you, if you go TBR or TPRH you better get priority/expedited shipping from wherever you get it.

And don't waste your time on the TBR Orgo Review, if you buy the book, use the passages, but don't waste your time with the content review as it's just not necessary ---> here's my thread from about a month ago and a very good discussion of the pros and cons of it from different sides (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=695979&highlight=tbr+organic). The basic gist is that people agree that TBR is great if you have a lot of time or are a supergunner who wants to minimize all doubt whatsoever, but that you can still get a very high BS score (14 or 15) if you read the TPRH Orgo (which is much less dense and easier), and do the TBR Berkeley Passages.

Last edited:
As a personal note, it took me 6 days to finish TBR Organic (Content and Phases I and II passages) and I worked on it almost everyday. So if you want/have 5-8 days to spend on Organic then I would just go through TBR content.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

I just saw a picture of those TPR books and W:eek:W they are THICK. In reality I only have 1.5 months because I incorporated breaks into my study schedule so I really hope I'll have enough time. I'm willing to shell out the extra cash and purchase these TPR books if that's what it takes... or maybe I should purposely bomb the MCAT so I can get my 2 grand refunded from Kaplan (jk)!. I've managed to get my hands on the EK 1001 series from a friend as well. Any more opinions? Seems like TPR is the way to go for me right now.

Thanks!

p.s. TPR or TBR?

I just saw a picture of those TPR books and W:eek:W they are THICK. In reality I only have 1.5 months because I incorporated breaks into my study schedule so I really hope I'll have enough time. I'm willing to shell out the extra cash and purchase these TPR books if that's what it takes... or maybe I should purposely bomb the MCAT so I can get my 2 grand refunded from Kaplan (jk)!. I've managed to get my hands on the EK 1001 series from a friend as well. Any more opinions? Seems like TPR is the way to go for me right now.

Thanks!

p.s. TPR or TBR?

TPR or TBR are both good, but again given your time constraints, it's gonna take a while to find those books and ahve them delivered. Maybe if you look on the SDN classified they may pop up, but they go by quickly as they're in high demand and low supply. Same with the TPRH books. Your call.

Those books look thick, but don't waste your time reading the TPRH Biological sciences, just read the EK Bio (which is excellent) if you have that book. They won't test you on teh nitty gritty on the TPRH Bio on the MCAT ever. You also won't use the "Verbal and Writing book" or the In class compendium.

The only real dense book is the science workbook but that's why it makes it so great.

It's a quick read through TPRH Physics and TPRH Gen. Chem. They use big sizes and fonts, and they don't put too much text on any given page. TPRH Orgo is the only "long" one, but compare that to TBR Orgo, that is DENSE and oh so wordy, but don't take my word for it, get them for yourself if you want :laugh:

Ideally, you would get both sets of books, so you can choose and pick what you need from both, but if you have a month and a half gete those books and get started assap!

Last edited:
TPR or TBR are both good, but again given your time constraints, it's gonna take a while to find those books and ahve them delivered. Maybe if you look on the SDN classified they may pop up, but they go by quickly as they're in high demand and low supply. Same with the TPRH books. Your call.

Those books look thick, but don't waste your time reading the TPRH Biological sciences, just read the EK Bio (which is excellent) if you have that book. They won't test you on teh nitty gritty on the TPRH Bio on the MCAT ever. You also won't use the "Verbal and Writing book" or the In class compendium.

The only real dense book is the science workbook but that's why it makes it so great.

It's a quick read through TPRH Physics and TPRH Gen. Chem. They use big sizes and fonts, and they don't put too much text on any given page. TPRH Orgo is the only "long" one, but compare that to TBR Orgo, that is DENSE and oh so wordy, but don't take my word for it, get them for yourself if you want :laugh:

Ideally, you would get both sets of books, so you can choose and pick what you need from both, but if you have a month and a half gete those books and get started assap!

Keep in mind OP that TPR HL books are double spaced. Plus the pages are small, probably 1/4 to 1/3 less than a standard copy page. Yea, and if you only have 1.5 months to receive the books and go through them and do FLs then I would just do TPR Hyperlearning as they'll give you to most for your short time. Ideally it would be great if you could push your test back another month but if you can't then just do TPR Hyperlearning with EK 1001 books.

Good luck and Hope this helps,

-LIS

So I've decided to push back my MCAT to 5-27 so i can have more time to study. I'm pretty set on purchasing the TPR Hyperlearning books (Mr. T you better have those on reserve for me!!). But since I've already gone through content once through Kaplan, how beneficial would it be to go through it a second time through TPR? I was thinking about just purchasing the EK 1001 series and hammering through all the questions but wasn't sure if this would be enough. I'm the type of guy that learns more from doing actual practice problems than through reading about concepts. Thoughts?