Putting off interviews until January/February

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheeezcake

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a prior commitment until the end of December, with my only true free days being Sundays. Taking time off during the week to attend an interview (or multiple if I'm lucky) would be very difficult, but still possible if absolutely needed. Would it put me at a serious disadvantage if I waited until after the new year to attend, assuming I was offered spots earlier on in the cycle? Or would it be advised to attend an interview as soon possible if offered one?

Members don't see this ad.

It’s usually best to take the earliest interview date. Many of the interview invite emails I received even mentioned that it’s better to take the earlier dates.

Reactions: 5 users
What is the nature of your commitment? And is it so inflexible that it couldn't accommodate a medical school interview? And how important is this commitment to you? In other words, important enough to damage your chances of med school admission?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Cue gonnif saying applying to medical school is a full-time job.

Frankly, interviews should be your number one priority until you have at least one acceptance. Otherwise, you run the risk of having no acceptances. Interviewing early and often maximizes your chances of acceptance.

Reactions: 9 users
Does this commitment allow for any "personal days"? Depending on time zone, it may be possible to make these trips in 24-36 hours and miss just one work day. If you get an offer in the early fall, you can choose to withdraw some of your applications and be picky about which interview invitations you accept.

Reactions: 4 users
What is the nature of your commitment? And is it so inflexible that it couldn't accommodate a medical school interview? And how important is this commitment to you? In other words, important enough to damage your chances of med school admission?
Unfortunately fairly inflexible. It is athletically related and important enough to me that I am willing to take hit to my acceptance chances, I'm just not sure how bad of a hit it would be. I prefer to hold my commitments, but my absolute priority is getting accepted this cycle.

Does this commitment allow for any "personal days"? Depending on time zone, it may be possible to make these trips in 24-36 hours and miss just one work day. If you get an offer in the early fall, you can choose to withdraw some of your applications and be picky about which interview invitations you accept.
Unfortunately no, but that is a really good idea if I can get permission to slip away for a day. Leave the night before, and catch a flight right after could definitely work.

Reactions: 1 user
@cheeezcake Admissions are rolling and while schools will sometimes give you a choice of date, why would you put everything up to chance? It is a fact that there are going to be less spots available as we progress later in the cycle. In my honest opinion, I would highly recommend you interview as early as possible if you are invited to. Thousands of people would literally die to get 1 interview and would bend over backwards to attend that one interview. Dont be picky, and go get that acceptance

Reactions: 2 users
@cheeezcake Admissions are rolling and while schools will sometimes give you a choice of date, why would you put everything up to chance? It is a fact that there are going to be less spots available as we progress later in the cycle. In my honest opinion, I would highly recommend you interview as early as possible if you are invited to. Thousands of people would literally die to get 1 interview and would bend over backwards to attend that one interview. Dont be picky, and go get that acceptance
I hate to agree with all of you, but you make good points. I'm going to have to do some planning.

If it's Olympic training camp or a major league professional sport, then you may be able to get a big enough boost to compensate for a later interview. Otherwise not.

If your clear priority is medical school, then let your priorities guide your actions.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with everyone above. If your first priority is to maximize your chances of getting in this year, take the earlier interviews whenever possible -- especially if your application is not a slam-dunk shoo-in for an acceptance. As the interview season progresses, there will be fewer acceptances left to give out. At my school, most of the acceptances are ultimately offered to folks who interviewed before January, and I'm assuming that this is the case at most other schools.

If it's Olympic training camp or a major league professional sport, then you may be able to get a big enough boost to compensate for a later interview. Otherwise not.

If your clear priority is medical school, then let your priorities guide your actions.

I agree with everyone above. If your first priority is to maximize your chances of getting in this year, take the earlier interviews whenever possible -- especially if your application is not a slam-dunk shoo-in for an acceptance. As the interview season progresses, there will be fewer acceptances left to give out. At my school, most of the acceptances are ultimately offered to folks who interviewed before January, and I'm assuming that this is the case at most other schools.

appreciate the input! I now agree.