Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Q about residency if I decide to apply to post-doctoral programs

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by dds2013, Jan 3, 2009.

1. dds2013

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I have absolutely no clue whether I will apply to specialties, but just in case, I would like to know further information regarding residency.

When you apply to a specialty program, do schools still consider in-state and out-of-state applicants separately? Some schools right now for example (pre-doctoral program entry) give preference to their in-state students (ex: MCG, LSU, SIU, etc.); do those schools still have those preferences to students when it comes to post-doctoral applicants?

Also, if I end up going to a dental school outside of my current home state, what will I be considered when I apply to post-doctoral specialties? Out-state? I am guessing that I will not be filing taxes in dental schools because I will have no income. I am also guessing that my parents will continue to consider me as a dependent throughout those 4 years. Sorry, I have no experience when it comes to residency issues; me and my family have lived and paid taxes in our current state for the past 15 years.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. youngmc27

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not to sound negative but just worry about doing your best during D1 and then maybe start to consider specializing. I would say over 75% of all D1s want to specialize but only 10-15% actually will.:D

4. dds2013

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I know, it’s very difficult. Like I said, I have no clue whether I will have the opportunity to specialize or not.

But do you have any idea of the answer to the question?

5. mamelons

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I would imagine residency programs give preference to at least 1 student in their own program unless it is something like ortho or OMS where there are only 2 spots a year.

I do know that MCG only takes Georgia residents for pre-doctoral, but I know their GPR takes people from other schools. They currently have 2 residents from UTHSCSA, and I know 3 people from UTHSCSA interviewed for the GPR this year.

Another example... UTHSCSA takes primarily Texas residents for pre-doctoral, but they have a pedo resident who went to South Carolina, and an ortho resident who went to Kentucky. I know there are other residents from other programs as well. I also know of a guy who went to Baylor who is doing OMS at LSU. I think when it comes to residencies, the schools look at who would be the best fit for their program, regardless of where they graduated from.

6. dds2013

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Anyone else?