Q about residency if I decide to apply to post-doctoral programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dds2013

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have absolutely no clue whether I will apply to specialties, but just in case, I would like to know further information regarding residency.

When you apply to a specialty program, do schools still consider in-state and out-of-state applicants separately? Some schools right now for example (pre-doctoral program entry) give preference to their in-state students (ex: MCG, LSU, SIU, etc.); do those schools still have those preferences to students when it comes to post-doctoral applicants?

Also, if I end up going to a dental school outside of my current home state, what will I be considered when I apply to post-doctoral specialties? Out-state? I am guessing that I will not be filing taxes in dental schools because I will have no income. I am also guessing that my parents will continue to consider me as a dependent throughout those 4 years. Sorry, I have no experience when it comes to residency issues; me and my family have lived and paid taxes in our current state for the past 15 years.

Members don't see this ad.

Not to sound negative but just worry about doing your best during D1 and then maybe start to consider specializing. I would say over 75% of all D1s want to specialize but only 10-15% actually will.:D

Not to sound negative but just worry about doing your best during D1 and then maybe start to consider specializing. I would say over 75% of all D1s want to specialize but only 10-15% actually will.:D

I know, it’s very difficult. Like I said, I have no clue whether I will have the opportunity to specialize or not.

But do you have any idea of the answer to the question?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have absolutely no clue whether I will apply to specialties, but just in case, I would like to know further information regarding residency.

When you apply to a specialty program, do schools still consider in-state and out-of-state applicants separately? Some schools right now for example (pre-doctoral program entry) give preference to their in-state students (ex: MCG, LSU, SIU, etc.); do those schools still have those preferences to students when it comes to post-doctoral applicants?

Also, if I end up going to a dental school outside of my current home state, what will I be considered when I apply to post-doctoral specialties? Out-state? I am guessing that I will not be filing taxes in dental schools because I will have no income. I am also guessing that my parents will continue to consider me as a dependent throughout those 4 years. Sorry, I have no experience when it comes to residency issues; me and my family have lived and paid taxes in our current state for the past 15 years.

I would imagine residency programs give preference to at least 1 student in their own program unless it is something like ortho or OMS where there are only 2 spots a year.

I do know that MCG only takes Georgia residents for pre-doctoral, but I know their GPR takes people from other schools. They currently have 2 residents from UTHSCSA, and I know 3 people from UTHSCSA interviewed for the GPR this year.

Another example... UTHSCSA takes primarily Texas residents for pre-doctoral, but they have a pedo resident who went to South Carolina, and an ortho resident who went to Kentucky. I know there are other residents from other programs as well. I also know of a guy who went to Baylor who is doing OMS at LSU. I think when it comes to residencies, the schools look at who would be the best fit for their program, regardless of where they graduated from.