PLEASE HELP me decide HOWARD vs TOURO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

randomdude23

Reaction score
Title: HOWARD VS TOURO

OOS
Pros:
  • Cheaper Tuition (just schooling, below is estimated cost for 4 years)
  • $42,632 tuition + $15,624 fees
  • $42,632 tuition + $15,606 fees
  • $42,632 tuition + $13,496 fees
  • $42,632 tuition + $7,140 fees
  • save lots of debt. this is important right?
Cons:
  • Poor clinical experience? Heard this from many, don't know if it's bad enough to pick a more expensive school though.
  • You have to find your own patients, therefore some students graduate LATE
  • I'm not URM. I don't see this as a problem, but some people do
  • poor funding?
School 2: Touro (NY, and NM clinical)
* OOS
Pros:
  • Better clinical experience? idk if it is
  • nicer facility and supplies, as reported by other people
  • not as many red flags as people highlight for Howard
Cons:
  • Expensive Tuition (just schooling costs is shown below for 4 years)
  • The calculations below are reported of a PREVIOUS YEAR, idk this might even change since I'm part of the class that will be moving to NEW MEXICO for D3 AND D4 CLINICALS
  • D1
    $69,750$21,003 Fees
    D2
    $65,800​
    $19,026 Fees​
    D3
    $62,800​
    $19,026 Fees​
    D4
    $59,900​
    $19,026 Fees​

Summary: For a long time, my ONLY concern when choosing dental schools is the cost. With that said, Howard has BEEN my top OOS school if I did not get in anywhere in state. Why? Because anytime I asked a dentist for advice, long ago before I even got accepted, they always said "PICK THE CHEAPEST SCHOOL. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHERE YOU GO , JUST PICK THE CHEAPEST."

To hear this from actual WORKING DENTISTS, it let me know that after graduating, they must be battling debt and DEBT must be something very important post graduation. I also have lots of goals in business so I do NOT want this 'soul crushing debt' that is so infamously talked about by everyone.

ANYWAYS, here is why I'm conflicted now. I want the cheapest school, so that I can look out for my future self in terms of finances. but if Howard's education is that poor, and I graduate late then it could affect my actual experience and skill as a dentist?

AND FOR THOSE SAYING TO PICK TOURO, does touro have ANYTHING at their school that would make it worth paying ALL THAT MONEY as opposed to going to Howard? Is there any benefit in taking Touro here. Im truly open to listen, since as much as I want to save money, it won't matter if my education is sabotaged.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Title: HOWARD VS TOURO

OOS
Pros:
  • Cheaper Tuition (just schooling, below is estimated cost for 4 years)
  • $42,632 tuition + $15,624 fees
  • $42,632 tuition + $15,606 fees
  • $42,632 tuition + $13,496 fees
  • $42,632 tuition + $7,140 fees
  • save lots of debt. this is important right?
Cons:
  • Poor clinical experience? Heard this from many, don't know if it's bad enough to pick a more expensive school though.
  • You have to find your own patients, therefore some students graduate LATE
  • I'm not URM. I don't see this as a problem, but some people do
  • poor funding?
School 2: Touro (NY, and NM clinical)
* OOS
Pros:
  • Better clinical experience? idk if it is
  • nicer facility and supplies, as reported by other people
  • not as many red flags as people highlight for Howard
Cons:
  • Expensive Tuition (just schooling costs is shown below for 4 years)
  • The calculations below are reported of a PREVIOUS YEAR, idk this might even change since I'm part of the class that will be moving to NEW MEXICO for D3 AND D4 CLINICALS
  • D1
    $69,750$21,003 Fees
    D2
    $65,800​
    $19,026 Fees​
    D3
    $62,800​
    $19,026 Fees​
    D4
    $59,900​
    $19,026 Fees​

Summary: For a long time, my ONLY concern when choosing dental schools is the cost. With that said, Howard has BEEN my top OOS school if I did not get in anywhere in state. Why? Because anytime I asked a dentist for advice, long ago before I even got accepted, they always said "PICK THE CHEAPEST SCHOOL. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHERE YOU GO , JUST PICK THE CHEAPEST."

To hear this from actual WORKING DENTISTS, it let me know that after graduating, they must be battling debt and DEBT must be something very important post graduation. I also have lots of goals in business so I do NOT want this 'soul crushing debt' that is so infamously talked about by everyone.

ANYWAYS, here is why I'm conflicted now. I want the cheapest school, so that I can look out for my future self in terms of finances. but if Howard's education is that poor, and I graduate late then it could affect my actual experience and skill as a dentist?

AND FOR THOSE SAYING TO PICK TOURO, does touro have ANYTHING at their school that would make it worth paying ALL THAT MONEY as opposed to going to Howard? Is there any benefit in taking Touro here. Im truly open to listen, since as much as I want to save money, it won't matter if my education is sabotaged.
cheaper