Q: Best psych classes for MCAT prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewClassic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
In addition to Intro to Psychology, which of the following classes would be good prep for the MCAT?
  • Developmental Psychology
  • Learning
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • Brain and Behavior
  • Cognitive Psychology
  • Social Psychology

Members don't see this ad.

In addition to Intro to Psychology, which of the following classes would be good prep for the MCAT?
  • Developmental Psychology
  • Learning
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • Brain and Behavior
  • Cognitive Psychology
  • Social Psychology
I would take
-Sociology 101
-Intro to Psychology
-Anthropology
-Neuroscience and Behavior

Good luck! :)

I found taking developmental psychology really helpful because it focuses on a lot of piaget, erikson, etc! it was just luck that i had taken it and it came in handy- I don't know that I would take it just for the sake of mcat prep. but if you are needing to take another psych class in addition to psych 101 for your degree or whatever, developmental will definitely be helpful!

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't take any of those classes solely for MCAT prep. If any of them are notoriously easy (to get an A in) or are necessary for your major, then I'd take it. All of those classes will help to some degree on the MCAT, but maybe like 5% of the class material will translate to MCAT material. Not to mention psych/soc is the easiest section of the MCAT to self learn.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors