Q' for NYU Dental Students

Started by Khurram
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Khurram

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So i'm starting at nyu in the fall (advanced placement) and I know we have to buy a pda. On the requirements sheet they sent us I think it said we have to buy a palm based os. I've just recently purchased a pocket pc based device and I was wondering is it absolutely mandatory to use a palm based system?
Does it matter?
I know ePocrates is not available on pocket pc but now there are dozens of similar programs available for pocket pc based devices and I really like the pocket pc format (dont flame me for that)!

Anybody know if it's ok to use a pocket pc based device?
Thanks
khurram
 
Its just fine.

You will use it during your first week then you will not use it again until patient care starts in May of your 2nd year.
 
Well since i'm an AP student I am starting my second year.

So does that mean that a pocket pc based pda is ok to use for all of the years? Im not really fond of palm.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The only real thing you will use it for is Epocrates which you will get the subscription info when you start. They have the program for the Pocket PC

You will also/might use the PDA to help you schedule patient appointments. This is not necessary or required, but I find it mush easier since I can then dismiss the patient chair side. All I use to schedule patients is the calender function in palm. i programed all my avaliable chair time and let the patient know their next visit. Then when they leave, I just go up to the scheduling computer and mark them in.

2 of my good friends have Dell PDA's with windows, so do not worry, you are just fine
 
3rdMolarRoller said:
The only real thing you will use it for is Epocrates which you will get the subscription info when you start. They have the program for the Pocket PC

You will also/might use the PDA to help you schedule patient appointments. This is not necessary or required, but I find it mush easier since I can then dismiss the patient chair side. All I use to schedule patients is the calender function in palm. i programed all my avaliable chair time and let the patient know their next visit. Then when they leave, I just go up to the scheduling computer and mark them in.

2 of my good friends have Dell PDA's with windows, so do not worry, you are just fine

Sounds great thanks a lot...
now I can still watch my tv via slingbox on my pocket pc 😀 (in my free time that is)
 
i dont understand why they are forcing you to buy a PDA...its just like how some schools force their students in buying a laptop.....its just stupid.
 
Dr.BadVibes said:
i dont understand why they are forcing you to buy a PDA...its just like how some schools force their students in buying a laptop.....its just stupid.

Yea.. just like how some schools make their students buy glocks for "self-defense".. pssshh 🙄
 
dentwannabe said:
Yea.. just like how some schools make their students buy glocks for "self-defense".. pssshh 🙄

Hey buddy....Temple makes us buy glocks cause its a necessity....we already lost 5 people last year that were murdered on the way to their car. One guy even had his articulator in his hand and the thug stole that...what the hell is he gonna do with an articulator?

However, buying a PDA or laptop is NOT a neccessity in dental school, which is why I think its a ******ed policy for schools to force their students to buy them....especially NYU students who have the largest debts in the entire world and have to actually rent their instruments every year!!!! It still boggles my mind on how you guys pay $20K+ for your instruments and dont get to actually own them. So by forcing students to pay for a PDA and laptop, why tack on more unecessary costs???

Im just surprised that more students at NYU dont stand up and fight against these ridiculous policies. They sure do try and suck every single dollar from you guys.
 
Dr.BadVibes said:
Hey buddy....Temple makes us buy glocks cause its a necessity....we already lost 5 people last year that were murdered on the way to their car. One guy even had his articulator in his hand and the thug stole that...what the hell is he gonna do with an articulator?

However, buying a PDA or laptop is NOT a neccessity in dental school, which is why I think its a ******ed policy for schools to force their students to buy them....especially NYU students who have the largest debts in the entire world and have to actually rent their instruments every year!!!! It still boggles my mind on how you guys pay $20K+ for your instruments and dont get to actually own them. So by forcing students to pay for a PDA and laptop, why tack on more unecessary costs???

Im just surprised that more students at NYU dont stand up and fight against these ridiculous policies. They sure do try and suck every single dollar from you guys.

Yeah they really do try to suck every last cent from you..
 
On a side note..
I didn't know they made ePocrates for pocket pc..is it new? is it free?
 
Whoa, is that $6000 or so for books, etc. per year? Crap...see you in debt hell.
 
hey ya'll

do we need to purchase the pda before school starts? or later when we purchase our ebooks and supplies?

thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if we have to get it before school starts? or can we purchase it in the first week (orientation week)