Q on Ochem labs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We have 6 yrs of course work and 4 cr. of separate lab class for Ochem. I plan to take the lab this Spring, I already completed the 6 cr. of classwork. LECOM took my 3 cr. of biochem class and said I did not need to do the OChem lab. I want to make sure I am not missing soemthing I will need in med school. Should I still do the lab?

Members don't see this ad.

6 years of course work in ochem wow. that works out to 52128 hours of ochem, I am impressed.

6 years of course work in ochem wow. that works out to 52128 hours of ochem, I am impressed.

:p oops, this is what happens when you have a one yr. old trying to grab the key board...

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate labs, but actually found organic lab fairly enjoyable. It was just a constant stream of work. I wouldn't say there is anything you NEED to know. It might help to know basic lab techniques but I highly doubt you'll be doing much organic chemistry in medical school.

while I don't know about med school the o chem labs were cool compared to most other labs.

Agreed that Ochem Lab was as cool as it gets, though somewhat time consuming, as far as labs go.

However, if you don't need it to satisfy any requirements, for sure, then you definitely don't need to take it for med school.

However, if you'd like to do some chemistry/biochem type research, then it could definitely help you there.