Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Q on Ochem labs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Deepa100, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Deepa100

Deepa100 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

We have 6 yrs of course work and 4 cr. of separate lab class for Ochem. I plan to take the lab this Spring, I already completed the 6 cr. of classwork. LECOM took my 3 cr. of biochem class and said I did not need to do the OChem lab. I want to make sure I am not missing soemthing I will need in med school. Should I still do the lab?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. saylorsdad

saylorsdad OSU-CHS OMSII
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    6 years of course work in ochem wow. that works out to 52128 hours of ochem, I am impressed.

4. Deepa100

Deepa100 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

:p oops, this is what happens when you have a one yr. old trying to grab the key board...

5. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I hate labs, but actually found organic lab fairly enjoyable. It was just a constant stream of work. I wouldn't say there is anything you NEED to know. It might help to know basic lab techniques but I highly doubt you'll be doing much organic chemistry in medical school.

6. saylorsdad

saylorsdad OSU-CHS OMSII
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    while I don't know about med school the o chem labs were cool compared to most other labs.

7. Chocolate Bear

Chocolate Bear Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Agreed that Ochem Lab was as cool as it gets, though somewhat time consuming, as far as labs go.

However, if you don't need it to satisfy any requirements, for sure, then you definitely don't need to take it for med school.

However, if you'd like to do some chemistry/biochem type research, then it could definitely help you there.