qbank and usmle world

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinehopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
need some advice. i have the kaplan qbank right now. i'm pretty happy with it, but everyone here keeps talking about usmleworld. so i was thinking about finishing up kaplan qbank in the next three weeks and then spending the other three weeks before my test doing usmle world. is it worth it to do this? or should i spend the extra money instead on the nbme exams? thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not do em all?....the NBME's aren't going to take you 3 weeks to do....maybe a full day or 2 each including reviewing the answers.....and if $$ isn't extremely tight....UWorld doesn't cost that much...I think 60$/1 month

I did both USMLE World and Qbank and was glad that I did. Half of my test looked like Qbank, and half was like USMLE world. It was nice to be familiar with them both, plus I think that I got some very similar questions from both on my exam.
I wouldn't discourage you from doing at least one NBME though, but I didn't like them because while they helped, seeing the score scale mostly just added to my anxiety.

Good luck! :)

hey all,
need some advice. i have the kaplan qbank right now. i'm pretty happy with it, but everyone here keeps talking about usmleworld. so i was thinking about finishing up kaplan qbank in the next three weeks and then spending the other three weeks before my test doing usmle world. is it worth it to do this? or should i spend the extra money instead on the nbme exams? thanks in advance.

i was doing only Q BANK until recently..and it gave me hope and lulled me into thinking i can do it and do awsome .but for some reason i ended up doing UW AND its kicking my butt WELL i must say i ahve better understanding of the content now.
so DO USMLE WORLD ..it sworth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
i haven't yet looked in depth at USMLE World - but i am planning on doing it this summer. to help budget my time, i'd like to know what is a reasonable number of Q's one can get through in a day + thorough review of answers. i guess i go at a moderate pace, not super fast, not super slow, and i'd like to fit in 150 Q's per day for USMLEWorld, and go through explainations.

feasible???

Just bought USMLEworld last night, had access to qbank. I really like it better but for me the questions seem a little more straight forward.

USMLEWorld reminds me more of the comprehensive basic sciences exam (CBSE) that our school gave us.

My plan is to alternate, 50 qbank, 50 usmleworld.

If you do 100 qbank + 50 usmleworld questions a day, you'll be done with qbank in 22 days and you'll finish 1100 usmleworld questions. then take another 5-6 days of doing 150 usmleworld questions a day and you're done with both qbanks! which still leaves time for the NBME 1-4 tests. not a bad investment of your time :)

at least that's my plan; point is, it can be done...i hope...

Im doing UWworld and only avg 64-66%....wat does this correlate 2? I know there are prolly threads out there....so sorry in advance:) but im kinda getting worried......

exam may 17th:(:scared:

Hey guys thanks for all the fantastic information and advice so far, I had one question regarding Qbank stuff:

I have the 41 blocks of pirated Kaplan Qbank questions. Are these meant to be very similar to the current questions Kaplan has in their Qbank?

Reason I ask is because I'm just considering buying USMLE world and then sticking with these bootleg Kaplan 41 blocks of questions and other Kaplan subject questions I have. Would this be solid enough in terms of review questions or do any of you feel I should go ahead and purchase Kaplan Qbank as well cuz I just didn't know how useful these Pirated Kaplan Qs are.

thanks

hey UW peeps, which type of meningitis is more common in an adult... Strep pneumo or Neisseria? UW says Strep pneumo, but FA says Neisseria is #1. which is it?!:mad:

Im doing UWworld and only avg 64-66%....wat does this correlate 2? I know there are prolly threads out there....so sorry in advance:) but im kinda getting worried......

exam may 17th:(:scared:
65% is really good drguy! someone told me about this formula -

(UW score X 2.4) + 80 = ur projected score

keep going, u're doing great!

Members don't see this ad :)
65% is really good drguy! someone told me about this formula -

(UW score X 2.4) + 80 = ur projected score

keep going, u're doing great!

lol....but there is just one problem....Qbank score is 65-66 also!...isnt UW supposed to be harder?

hey UW peeps, which type of meningitis is more common in an adult... Strep pneumo or Neisseria? UW says Strep pneumo, but FA says Neisseria is #1. which is it?!:mad:
Vaccinations will tend to mess with the statistics but I believe that NM is most common from about 15-30 and then strep pneumo takes over as most common.

Hey guys thanks for all the fantastic information and advice so far, I had one question regarding Qbank stuff:

I have the 41 blocks of pirated Kaplan Qbank questions. Are these meant to be very similar to the current questions Kaplan has in their Qbank?

Reason I ask is because I'm just considering buying USMLE world and then sticking with these bootleg Kaplan 41 blocks of questions and other Kaplan subject questions I have. Would this be solid enough in terms of review questions or do any of you feel I should go ahead and purchase Kaplan Qbank as well cuz I just didn't know how useful these Pirated Kaplan Qs are.

thanks

Are those downloadable on scrapetorrent.com or somewhere else?

then I guess u better hope the test is more like UW and less like kaplan qbank......

Forget who, but someone was making a comment about QBank and your average and all other users averages. As for me, I use QBank as a learning tool, not self assessment. To that end, I don't study material until feeling mastery before doing questions. I do it to try to focus and see how I'm doing, and then to learn from mistakes (often more helpful than corrects, especially when it's a guess).

Point being, I'm only at 65% on QBank and about 53% through. Plan to go through my wrong answers and IV Qbank and (if I have time) USMLESteps 123, because I have it for free. No one I know is using QBank as a pure assessment; that's what the NBME exams are supposed to be for.

there aren't that many neuroanatomy questions on UW... is neuroanatomy not big on boards?

I do it to try to focus and see how I'm doing, and then to learn from mistakes (often more helpful than corrects, especially when it's a guess).

Ah the learning curve. What a bitch. Sometimes you have to do 30 questions before you get 1 that actually exposes a weakness and forces you to learn something. Looking at questions last year was more fun, when everything posed a challenge. Now it has become perfunctory. Another 50, coming right up.

Vaccinations will tend to mess with the statistics but I believe that NM is most common from about 15-30 and then strep pneumo takes over as most common.

I think Goljan says that NM is the most common from age 2 months to 18 years. Above 18 years, most common is strep pneumo.

This is more or less what we learned in our ID section of pathophys at my school, with the exception that NM was the most common up to age "early 20s" and the strep pneumo was for older than that.

Regardless, unless the adult was like age 20-21 or something, I think the answer has definitely gotta be strep pneumo.

i broke down and bought USMLEworld yesterday. i'm very glad i did because it quickly brought me back down to reality. my last 50q biochem set on Qbank i scored a 94%. sweet, right? my first 50q biochem set on USMLEworld i score a 36%. :eek:

i'll mention that i'm using the kaplan series to study, but i never thought the material would differ b/w the two question banks so dramatically (IMO). USMLEworld is obsessed with fructose/galactose metabolism as well as the janus kinase/STAT pathway. perhaps i was educated poorly but before today i had no idea what the JAK/STAT was (kaplan doesn't talk about it).

bottom line: use both to cover all of your bases.

Kaplan= easy questions, fast recall for the test

UW= :eek::confused::scared: QUESTIONS for the test, and its more updated than Kaplan