qbank approach step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HiddenTruth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering what is the best way to approach the qbank. We have about 5-6 months between the end of our basic sciences and when we take step 1--(some rotations and some study months during that period).

So, I plan on starting learning some stuff and revieweing next month (don't take the exam until may/june). So, my main concern is whether it's good to do QBANK as i am LEARNING new stuff (some of my path is seriously weak) as a PRIMARY learning tool early on in my study or wait until i have a good grip on the material before i use it as both a learning tool and a way to test my knowledge. I will have 9 month acess-- and have a qbook--by using the first approach, will i burn out the questions to when i really need them as a way to test my knowledge?

And, additionally, will i completely lose the validity of the scores by using the first appraoch (misrepresentation of what i really know)??

I just want to know how to approach this in my particualr scenario/study plan. I'd really appreciate any input from you guys--thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

I would use First Aid as your primary learning tool. Use QBank later to practice stamina, find areas where you might be weak (although don't only use the results of QBank since some of their subject areas are skewed in terms of the number of questions and the difficulty) and getting used to answering questions in the Step 1 format. Same goes for QBook. QBank might mislead you in certain areas (for example there are several HLA questions in QBank and yet I didn't have any on Step 1) so I think it is better to test your thinking knowledge and not your base knowledge. I would always use QBank in random question mode and not by subject area.

I agree with the above poster to use qbank later on. I used it in the last 4 weeks before I took the boards. The approach I used that I think was very helpful was really studying up on the question explanations. Anything I read that I wasn't very confident with I would break out the appropriate review book and read about that topic. It can make for slow going at times but it is a good way to keep things fresh regardless if you use a systems or subject based review. During my last semester of second year I used Appleton and Lange and did about 10-20 questions a day, nothing too serious.