Qbank score vs Actual score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinesinger

Born-again Yankee
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I and some of my classmates have been told by MSIII's that Qbank is harder than the actual Step I, and if you are getting 60% in Qbank that you will do fine come test day. Can anyone back this up? It seems to me that 60% is a bit low and I am certainly not going to plan on doing fine with 60% on Qbank. I'm just wondering if anyone can comment on the relationship between scores on these two testing entities.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to know as well!

QUOTE=Pinesinger]Hey all,

I and some of my classmates have been told by MSIII's that Qbank is harder than the actual Step I, and if you are getting 60% in Qbank that you will do fine come test day. Can anyone back this up? It seems to me that 60% is a bit low and I am certainly not going to plan on doing fine with 60% on Qbank. I'm just wondering if anyone can comment on the relationship between scores on these two testing entities.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Q-bank seems to be more detail oriented. And yes a 60% on q-bank will generally get you a apssing score on the boards (no guarantees but seems to have held up in the past) Here is a thread where people posted their q-bank scores and their actual exam score.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1657525

I took some of the info from this thread an plugged it into excell. The bese predictor of board performance seems to be the NBME practice exams. Here's my thread on correlations if you're interested.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=135824

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, all the above is correct............

QBank has much more detail AND the Step I is much more difficult.

I wouldn't worry about the QBank %ile to predict score. If you want to predict your score, take the NBME paid exams a few days before.

Thanks for your responses so far...

About the NBME paid tests...I'm taking Step one on Wednesday (the 6th)...is it worth while to take the paid practice test this close to the exam? I'm not sure what information it's going to tell me that I don't already know...

Pinesinger said:

About the NBME paid tests...I'm taking Step one on Wednesday (the 6th)...is it worth while to take the paid practice test this close to the exam? I'm not sure what information it's going to tell me that I don't already know...

i would. at least it should give you some confidence going into the exam.

Pinesinger said:

I'm taking it May 2nd, finally someone who is taking it before me!

I took the first NBME exam one week prior and the second one one day prior...considering I did well on them, it gave me confidence. were one to do poorly, I could see the reverse happening. Kind of a todd-up really.

north2southOMFS said:
I'm taking it May 2nd, finally someone who is taking it before me!

Yeah we take it early...our MSIII rotations start at the end of the month! :eek: What happened to the last two years?!