Qbank vs UWorld

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SirCuneus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just spent the 400 bucks on the Qbank since they were giving away the IV + Qbank for 9 months as the package deal. Now that I've read several entries, it feels like I made the wrong decision. So many say that UWorld is superior to the qbank. Should I have got UWorld instead? Are there some people out there that liked Qbank and did it prepare you well? Or should I switch over to UWorld with about three months before the boards and eat the cost?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I just spent the 400 bucks on the Qbank since they were giving away the IV + Qbank for 9 months as the package deal. Now that I've read several entries, it feels like I made the wrong decision. So many say that UWorld is superior to the qbank. Should I have got UWorld instead? Are there some people out there that liked Qbank and did it prepare you well? Or should I switch over to UWorld with about three months before the boards and eat the cost?

Thanks.

I got and paid for both qbank and uworld because a few hundred bucks is nothing compared to the importance of USMLE. I recommend you do qbank for now and try to finish as much as you can. Then switch to and finish Uworld in the 2 months before your test date.

Use QBank early when you have time for questions here and there and then get the 1 month UWorld for the last month of hardcore study.

Thanks for the advice. I'll plan on shelling out the cash for UWorld as the time draws nearer.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's an optimal amount of time to get UWorld for? 1 month is cheapest, but is that an adequate time to get through all of the questions...

I guess my real question is, besides cost, what's the real advantage to getting 1 month vs. 2 or 3 of UWorld? Thanks for any input-

i also plan to use qbank for a more subjectwise review and save the usmleworld for later review. many upperclassmen have told me that usmleworld is much much better than qbank.

I've heard the same thing--UWorld resembles the USMLE better than Kaplan. But from my use of it so far, I think it'll be great for learning when I'm tired of reading the books. It's great to test yourself while studying for classes and the USMLE simultaneously.

QBank gets a lot of criticism on this board because it is older and doesn't resemble the USMLE as well as UW does. Nevertheless, it is a fine question bank that used to be the best option available, and if you want to do questions this early, it is a very good chioce.

I agree that it is best to save the best set of 2000 questions (ie. USMLEWorld) for the final weeks.

Don't overlook the cheaper option of question books (vs. banks), which are much cheaper per questions and often just as good. QBook is a good example of this.

Anyone else tried using USMLErx (made by the authors of First Aid). How does this compare to QBank, and World?

Which one is preferred to do during the course of second year (systems specific?)

Don't overlook the cheaper option of question books (vs. banks), which are much cheaper per questions and often just as good. QBook is a good example of this.

So true, Qbook is a VERY underrated studying resource.

Hope this hasn't been asked...

I understand that USMLEWorld is more like the actual exam. I'm wondering whether the content of the two q-banks is any different since I want to use them to learn the material (as opposed to quickly testing recall). Are there some areas that are 'taught' better in the Kaplan Q-bank vs. USMLEWorld? Or will I take away the same sort of information from both.

Anyone else tried using USMLErx (made by the authors of First Aid). How does this compare to QBank, and World?

Which one is preferred to do during the course of second year (systems specific?)

I avoided USMLERx because I think that it sounded like a good way to learn First Aid, as opposed to a good way to learn boards material.

I think it is best to get your review from a variety of sources, because none of them exactly match what the question writers are thinking (except the NBME exams) but the overall review you get from multiple perspectives should give you a feel for what is and isn't boards-worthy.

I was wondering...I have done UW twice and Q bank once ( I started early doing questions) and now I am taking my test at the end of this month. I was wondering in the final stretch if I wanted to do simulated 350 question sets, should I use UW, whose questions I remember more or less, OR use Kaplan qbank whose questions I don't recall (because I started early with it). I would appreciate your advice. The reason I am asking is because I know (as you all mentioned) that UW is superior in terms of quality.

I was wondering...I have done UW twice and Q bank once ( I started early doing questions) and now I am taking my test at the end of this month. I was wondering in the final stretch if I wanted to do simulated 350 question sets, should I use UW, whose questions I remember more or less, OR use Kaplan qbank whose questions I don't recall (because I started early with it). I would appreciate your advice. The reason I am asking is because I know (as you all mentioned) that UW is superior in terms of quality.

I would think taking a NBME (or two) would be a better option as it will allow you to simulate the real thing. The questions come from the horses mouth and you wont have to worry about whether you got one right because you just remembered the answer from before.

Members don't see this ad :)

Good grief! :eek:

Anyhow, definitely recommend at least one NBME.

You could look into other question sources, because I'm sure you're comfortable with CBT by now. (Don't forget the free 150 questions from the USMLE site). Qbook and Robbins review are other sources of questions that are very well regarded.

I avoided USMLERx because I think that it sounded like a good way to learn First Aid, as opposed to a good way to learn boards material.

I think it is best to get your review from a variety of sources, because none of them exactly match what the question writers are thinking (except the NBME exams)

Thanks lord_jeebus. That was exactly my reasoning for signing up for USMLErx was because it forced me to learn FA. However, as I've now completed about 20% of the USMLErx, I've noticed that several points the test bank emphasizes is nowhere to be found in FA. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing.:confused:

Pocketknife, what was your cumultive performance on Kaplan Qbank and your real score?

Alright, I was one of the lucky people to win 3 free months of Q-bank from SDN. The subscription lasts from now until the middle of March. Should I be doing most of the questions on tutorial mode to "maximize learning" - and wait until closer to test time to do timed questions? Doesn't seem to make sense doing timed questions now to simulate testing when I have 6+ months until I take Step I. Also, will this affect my % correct stats in any way?

I'm thinking I'll switch over to UW as test time approaches, as has been advised here. That would be done in timed mode of course-

Alright, I was one of the lucky people to win 3 free months of Q-bank from SDN. The subscription lasts from now until the middle of March. Should I be doing most of the questions on tutorial mode to "maximize learning" - and wait until closer to test time to do timed questions? Doesn't seem to make sense doing timed questions now to simulate testing when I have 6+ months until I take Step I. Also, will this affect my % correct stats in any way?

I'm thinking I'll switch over to UW as test time approaches, as has been advised here. That would be done in timed mode of course-

Same question here. :)

Same question here. :)

The thing is I wonder how useful the questions are in tutorial mode.

I just started using the free 3 month subscription yesterday. I took 75 questions timed and accomplished 3 things:

1) Realized how exhausting the test is going to be, and that I need to build up stamina at some point

2) Took notes on the major concepts we have already covered in school that I should now but I have gaps in (e.g. interleukins)

3) Now the next step is to read up on the major subjects I am deficient in using review books.

I figure if I do this and then start again with questions (including incorrect) I will pick up more concepts (not necessarily looking to pick up nit-picky details yet). As long as I understand why the answer is what it is I am okay with getting my ego bruised for now.

Are we sure that it automatically started on Dec 15th? I havent started it yet and my Kaplan page says that I have a 3 month subscription to Qbank and it says access will expire on Sept 15th 2008. And there is start button that I havent pushed yet. I assume given the way that it is written on the site I can wait and start the 3 months later. Who knows?

Are we sure that it automatically started on Dec 15th? I havent started it yet and my Kaplan page says that I have a 3 month subscription to Qbank and it says access will expire on Sept 15th 2008. And there is start button that I havent pushed yet. I assume given the way that it is written on the site I can wait and start the 3 months later. Who knows?
I played around with a few questions today and it said "89 days left"

I'm sure once you activate, it will change to the correct expiration date...

The thing is I wonder how useful the questions are in tutorial mode.

I just started using the free 3 month subscription yesterday. I took 75 questions timed and accomplished 3 things:

1) Realized how exhausting the test is going to be, and that I need to build up stamina at some point

2) Took notes on the major concepts we have already covered in school that I should now but I have gaps in (e.g. interleukins)

3) Now the next step is to read up on the major subjects I am deficient in using review books.

I figure if I do this and then start again with questions (including incorrect) I will pick up more concepts (not necessarily looking to pick up nit-picky details yet). As long as I understand why the answer is what it is I am okay with getting my ego bruised for now.

Definitely use the tutorial mode -- the bulk of the learning is the immediate feedback you get IMHO. You will need to work on timing, but do that later, once you have more under your belt. The NBMEs are probably better suited for timing issues anyhow, because you won't have the option of a tutor mode on them. Bear in mind that a lot of folks found the actual questions to be a LOT longer than those on eg World, so even if you get the timing down on that system, you might find yourself crunched for time.

I was a Qbank winner, and I won't be using tutorial mode. I'll do the same timed random question sets that most people do closer to the boards, and I'll go back and review every question, right or wrong.

Why? Get used to this style of answering questions. I want it to be natural when boards get here. And I remember things better if I actually have it in a question where I have to struggle to figure it out. Tutor mode is not better to me than another board prep book, just a slightly different format. Qbanks are useful to me because of the pressure of answering a question under the gun, with timer on. I'll remember the ones I missed that way. If all the answers are already there I'll tend to struggle less to figure it out, and the information won't stick as well. And because it is a better compass for how I'm doing... I want accurate feedback on areas where I'm doing well and not doing well so I'll know where to better focus my study efforts. Tutorial mode does none of the above for me.

Thanks.

We are told by the person who does our board review to get at least 2 question banks from the following 3: Uworld, Q bank and Elsevier123. On top of that we are told to do at least 3 NBMEs. She is a pretty reliable source.

We are told by the person who does our board review to get at least 2 question banks from the following 3: Uworld, Q bank and Elsevier123. On top of that we are told to do at least 3 NBMEs. She is a pretty reliable source.

And by extension, everybody else is pretty unreliable? :rolleyes:

Following up on the Elsevier123 suggestion, you can get it for 25% if you buy it by the end of the month through a special SDN discount. Check it out --

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=471606

I played around with a few questions today and it said "89 days left"

I'm sure once you activate, it will change to the correct expiration date...

but that's the question. if you don't click activate, does that mean we have until 2008 to activate it and use our three months? I haven't clicked it yet either. :confused:

Another Qbank winner here. I started the tutorial mode 1 month before exam date. It seems a great learning tool. I found most of the questions "above average" and put to highlight tough issues and points that you may miss. I didn't find much of the straight forward questions.

I tried a couple of timed blocks. Most of the time I managed the time well except for physiology blocks where i really needed to think(May be one should not think! :p)

Costanza?

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!

I did the graduate physio program at VCU SOM some years ago. Dr.Costanzo is by far the BEST professor I've ever had. It's too bad I didn't end up getting into VCU for med school b/c she gives excellent advice about Step 1 (and she's reliable..;))

I'm not sure why our VCU brotha didn't want to reveal her name. Perhaps b/c you guys are a tough crowd on SDN.

Don't know about Qbank. however, UW rocks! The qs were somewhat harder but generally pretty representative of my test. Also, I felt very much at home with the FRED, since I got used to it in comfort of my own bed whilst practicing UW qs. I learnt a lot by just doing untimed blocks of qs in tutor mode there, carefully reading all explanations and taking notes of the most salient points.

A brief experience with both Kaplan and UW Qbanks (btw, I didn't take step 1 yet)

Total questions that have been used: ~500 Kaplan, ~1000 UW

Kaplan:
Interface is nice, even it's not similar to NBME's interface.
It opens in a web browser and it's flash based.
Doesn't restrict you use another software during sessions.
You can use keyboard to navigate through questions.
Gives more detailed performance data.
You need to select divisions/subjects each time you want to see how much question left.
Probably due to negative feedbacks, it seems that they added many new questions of which performance data is still in evaluating phase.

UW:
Interface is similar to NBME's interface.
It's a seperate program and java based, it doesn't allow you to acces another program during test session.
It's mentioned that UW monitors your computer during sessions whether you use screen capture program etc.
Automaticly shows number of unused questions.

UW is harder than Kaplan (I score ~8% higher in Kaplan) and contains more 2nd and 3rd order questions. Kaplan would be more useful to make your knowledge base stronger and UW probably would force you to integrate and further associate what you learned.

Overall, I would recommend both of them. If you don't have enough time, UW alone would be appropriate choice.

I'll write more detailed after taking step 1, if I can survive :p

I bought a subscription to both, and I have to say that I like USMLE World a lot better, even though it doesn't allow you to use any other programs while you're using it. I feel like I learn a lot more and make more connections with UW. I've largely abandoned using Qbank at this point because of time constraints and the fact that I don't feel it helps as much to build my "knowledge base".

I was also wondering if anyone else is consistently scoring higher with UW than with Kaplan? I know most people seem to do better on the Kaplan Qbank. I'll get like a 55-65% with Kaplan, but like 65-75% with UW. Except in Biochem (I suck at Biochem). Either way, is scoring better one one vs. the other better/worse?

I was doing about 65-70% on Kaplan, but I basically suck at UWorld. Getting better as I go along tho. Very excited today to finally have a block where I beat the average. Yay!

As for not being able to access other programs: I had firefox open while I had UW open earlier today. Haven't tried any true editing software or anything.

I bought a subscription to both, and I have to say that I like USMLE World a lot better, even though it doesn't allow you to use any other programs while you're using it. I feel like I learn a lot more and make more connections with UW. I've largely abandoned using Qbank at this point because of time constraints and the fact that I don't feel it helps as much to build my "knowledge base".

I was also wondering if anyone else is consistently scoring higher with UW than with Kaplan? I know most people seem to do better on the Kaplan Qbank. I'll get like a 55-65% with Kaplan, but like 65-75% with UW. Except in Biochem (I suck at Biochem). Either way, is scoring better one one vs. the other better/worse?

I'm with you on that one, it's a good sign because Kaplan is more nitpicky while UW is supposed to be more "thinking" questions

I was doing about 65-70% on Kaplan, but I basically suck at UWorld. Getting better as I go along tho. Very excited today to finally have a block where I beat the average. Yay!

As for not being able to access other programs: I had firefox open while I had UW open earlier today. Haven't tried any true editing software or anything.

Beating the average is exciting. :) But I think the average also includes people who are repeating questions, so if you beat the average on your first try, it probably underestimates your score. Or at least I like to think so. :D

Can you use Firefox when actually doing questions? I can access it with UW open, but the bar at the bottom of the screen disappears once I start doing questions.

I'm with you on that one, it's a good sign because Kaplan is more nitpicky while UW is supposed to be more "thinking" questions

I guess it's a good sign, so long as there are more of the "thinking questions" on the real thing.

I'm a little worried about things like Pharm, Micro, etc, however. It seems hard for my long term memory to hold onto things like which drugs cause which side effects or what being optochin sensitive means.

I haven't repeated any questions (yet). I just want to do unanswered ones until I go through them all, then I figure I'll go back and do the ones I screwed up and see if I learned anything. But dang, it sure is demoralizing at times looking at all the stuff you really can't ever remember seeing before, or worse the stuff you look at and say "yeah... I remember them saying something about that... can't remember what.... hmmmmm......."

I don't think I actually had a test open when I was using firefox. I think I was just on the review part post-block.

I haven't had any problems with having firefox, excel, or ical open while testing. Gotta have my Pandora radio going! But I haven't tested the screen-capture or ctrl-c blockage, despite them saying they monitor really making me want to.

I haven't had any problems with having firefox, excel, or ical open while testing. Gotta have my Pandora radio going! But I haven't tested the screen-capture or ctrl-c blockage, despite them saying they monitor really making me want to.

Control-c won't even work for other programs-->I was trying to copy a term from one wikipedia article to look up another one and it gave me some uworld message whenever i tried to paste

I don't think I did anything active to make it compatible. I think I paused a test to copy something once, because I was scared they shut me down and I'd be out the money. I'm totally cool with them trying to protect their product in whatever way they think is acceptable.