Qbank's WTF questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where does Kaplan Qbank come up with it's WTF questions? We know that the real exam also has it's share of WTF questions, however such questions, by their very nature can't really be studied for. So does Kaplan come up with their own random WTF questions just to simulate exam conditions, or have these concepts been tested on the real thing as a WTF question.

My point is, if kaplan is making an effort to gather the exam's pool of WTF questions and put them up in it's Qbank, then it would be time well spent to flag these questions and pay some attention to them. However if Qbank is randomly generating WTF questions, it stands to reason that the probability of getting the same concept tested on the real thing is low enough to not bother spending any extra time on these questions.

I just want to know if I should ignore kaplan's WTF questions or treat them with some respect.

What say yae?

Members don't see this ad.

DrPak said:
Where does Kaplan Qbank come up with it's WTF questions? We know that the real exam also has it's share of WTF questions, however such questions, by their very nature can't really be studied for. So does Kaplan come up with their own random WTF questions just to simulate exam conditions, or have these concepts been tested on the real thing as a WTF question.

My point is, if kaplan is making an effort to gather the exam's pool of WTF questions and put them up in it's Qbank, then it would be time well spent to flag these questions and pay some attention to them. However if Qbank is randomly generating WTF questions, it stands to reason that the probability of getting the same concept tested on the real thing is low enough to not bother spending any extra time on these questions.

I just want to know if I should ignore kaplan's WTF questions or treat them with some respect.

What say yae?

Ignore them, they're just as random as the stuff you'll get on the exam. I got weird stuff like questions about capitation fees and theoretical pharm (I later found out the question I got was based on some weird Nature Medicine article that only came out 3 months ago).

Kaplan doesn't "collect" their WTF questions from previous administrations. USMLERx might actually be a better resource for that. I plan to submit a random question on HMOs to the bank so I'd imagine other people have put their WTF questions in there as well.

So there's really no way to get to these WTF questions?

Btw, do you write the usmlerx questions base on ur experience in the real exam? (I hope so!). My impression is that usmlerx will be more representative of the exam because it's got people who recently gave the exam working on their thing. I'm sure the usmlerx admin tells you not to write questions straight out of the exam *nudge nudge* but I'm still hoping to find some real-exam-like material in there.

DrPak said:
So there's really no way to get to these WTF questions?

Btw, do you write the usmlerx questions base on ur experience in the real exam? (I hope so!). My impression is that usmlerx will be more representative of the exam because it's got people who recently gave the exam working on their thing. I'm sure the usmlerx admin tells you not to write questions straight out of the exam *nudge nudge* but I'm still hoping to find some real-exam-like material in there.

Of course to copy a question even from memory would be a copyright violation, but there's nothing wrong with writing questions on similar topics. :D

Even so, I'm pretty sure the WTF questions vary from test to test so even the fact that some of them are showing up in USMLERx is no guarantee they'll be of any use to anyone.