QR (Quantitative Reasoning) is KILLING ME!

tam2688

tam2688
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am sorry for so many questions, but most of you have done successfully on the OAT and I want to know about the QR section.

So far, (before studying anything and not finishing gen chem, organic or physics) I realize I can survive the biology section, reading comprehension and some chemistry.

How did you guys study for the Quantitative Reasoning?? I know some are just good at math, I never was and that's common. I don't know any methods or shortcuts. Before studying for QR, did you guys know how to solve most of them? I am almost clueless, is that normal? I am going to start practicing but I would really like some suggestions. Should I study old algebra/geometry books, or just KAPLAN and OAT Destroyer?

Thanks
Tam

Members don't see this ad.

Practice practice practice. Do and re-do problems you've missed, understanding why you've missed them. If you are weak in a certain area like trig or geometry, brush up on it. It's actually a fairly easy section to improve, because the OAT tests and tests the same types problems every time, I think.
If the site where you're taking it offers a whiteboard/dry erase markers, practice using those so you'll be used to it on test day.
There's not really much else you can do. I was really slow at QR at first too, but felt that practice boosted my confidence up alot. This section ended up being one of my strongest, too. I used the Destroyer and did almost every single one of those problems and made sure I knew the basic formulas by heart (not that many). I actually felt like out of all the sections, you've got to have your QR and RC down pat because those aren't even really science based subjects! You can definitely improve on those with practice.
Let me know if you have any more questions and good luck!

Definitely!!!! As much as you want to use that thing, you can't on the real test so don't even try and use one. I think I hid mine when I studied. Get used to the smell of either pencil/paper or dry erase pens (hopefully it's the former)

Members don't see this ad :)
know all about inequalities or whatever they're called (x<2, x>2, x=2, etc).. they seem easy but both times I took the OAT it seemed like they dominated the QR section and some were really complex.

Thanks guys! Yea I noticed the tests are heavy on certain sections and light on others.

What were some math areas you guys have seen the most besides the inequalities?

Know Trig...
Know the trig equations off the top of your head...
- Ex: cos60 = 1/2, sin30 = 1/2, sin60 = root3/2, etc.

Know how to divide and multiply numbers... PERIOD! VERY IMPORTANT!!

Also know how to do probability problems as well...

Knowing common logs is VERY helpful..

General equation for circle:
(x-h)2 + (y-k)2 = r2

How to calculate volumes...

Sum of Interior ANgles
180(n-2)

Distance Formula

Summations

All this stuff is useful to know to get through the test a lot quicker.. and also to get a higher score.. :D

Although paying attention to what people have said is important, there is something else that is even more important...

You have 2 years till you take this test. It is not worth it to start looking over stuff now. Having fun at school, making good grades, and staying active should be your preparation for the next year and a half - year and three quarters. You will be missing out on a lot if you start dealing with the test this far in advance. Enjoy college, you wont ever get to be in it again when you are done.

^ I agree. Like I told you before, CHILLLLLL. Even if you do start studying now, you will forget most of it by test time (since it is two years away) and your regular semester classes will suffer (since you should be putting your heart and soul into them right now). Just know what you will face in the future, do well in school, and tackle the problem when the time comes. Studying for the OAT is like studying for any other test...concentrated, strategic, and planned-out studying a few weeks to a month in advance are more than enough to get you through.

There is a catch to doing well though; these few weeks to a month of studying should basically be review since you should have already done well in your pre-req courses. The studying you will be doing should be intense test-taking practice and fine tuning. This will make you do well on the test. So it is very important to get down the basics of all your pre-req science classes now so when you come back to them before the OAT, you can fine-tune instead of waste time re-learning everything.