QR word problems!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATLATLATL

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi ya'll....i'm hatinggggggggggg QR...i've neve been a math person to begin with but these word problems are soooo frustratingggg!!!! i can't even get thru the kaplan word problems man!!!! how hard are the world problems on the real thing? and plz gimme advice guys...thank ya much:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, the kaplan word problems are a little harder but not by much than the ones on the real thing. Considering that out of the 40 problems on the test, 10 of those are word problems makes it quite time consuming. So its an issue of being able to finish everything on time unless you happen to be a math whiz. At least thats how it was for me when i took it the first time.
The best advice i could give ya is to keep practicing as many problems as you can. thats how i am hoping to improve on it as well. I can deal with the algebra and the trig but geometry and word problems frustrate me to no end. good luck to you.

hi ya'll....i'm hatinggggggggggg QR...i've neve been a math person to begin with but these word problems are soooo frustratingggg!!!! i can't even get thru the kaplan word problems man!!!! how hard are the world problems on the real thing? and plz gimme advice guys...thank ya much:eek:

Hey Buddy, thought id give ya some advice here...

I dont even know my times tables and QR was a super bitch for me..... No calc etc...

Here is how I went about attacking this section... The word problems are a pain in the ass but the key is there are only about 3 or four basic kinds of word problems.

You have your job problems like tom paints this at this rate and mary does this at this rate together what will the do etc... And the variations of that....

Just practice these different kinds of problems and do lots of them till you just start thinking this way.....

Get used to setting up proportions its faster and easier to think of them that way... Kaplan does an great job of showing you how to solve them.

Next the most important thing for me was, on the real test recognizing what I could do very quickly and what would take me a long time.. Put it this way You should be able to know in the first 15 seconds of reading the problem if you can do it fast or not, if you cant skip it and go to the nxt problem because they are all worth the same and there are a lot of really easy ones at the end of the exam that you will never see if you run out of time.

Thats what I did tore the the quant in about 15 min got to the end then went back to the harder ones that I knew would take me much longer to solve, then the last 2 min I just guessed the answeres...

I got a 15 out of the section using this method and hey again I dont even know my times tables not that im stupid just have always used a calculator all my life so takes me a while to do the divisions and stuff long hand...

Any way hope that helps a bit oh and the word problems kaplin gives you are pretty representative of the real deal. The real thing is a big easier and you wont see those really hard word problems on the real thing but Im sure you will see, Rate problems, at least one or two probability problems, At least one permuation, etc....

Hope that helps oh and one other thing to add, Dent schools really dont care too much bout quant so If everything elese is really good dont worry bout this section to much just try to pull it up to a point where it wont kill your ACA...