Quality of Life at Univ. of Michigan vs. NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringDoctor9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hihi!

I've been thinking about this for quite sometime, so I figured I'd toss it out and see what people had to say. I've narrowed my choices down to Univ. of Michigan (MHSA) and Columbia University (MPH in Healthcare Management). That being said, I think that Michigan's program is superior and the training given is excellent. They also are ranked #1 in my field and have been for the last 10 years. Columbia on the other hand has an ivy league name, and is (in my opinion) very well connected with companies in the New York City area. Although their program may not be as good in terms of quality, the networking there seems extensive, as does the job opportunities. Finally, I think I'd be much happier in New York City (I'm a big city person at heart) - but is Michigan worth going to for its superior program?

For those who attend/have attended Michigan, what do you do in your free time? The students there told me they seem to have quite a bit of it - so how do you all spend it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi AspiringDoc!

There is no comparison between Ann Arbor and NYC. You have to make the determination as to whether you would like to "sacrifice" two years in Michigan versus living two years in NYC with a suboptimal (good, although not the greatest) program. Of course, I would tell you to go to Michigan, knowing the quality of the program, but having grown up in NYC, I understand why you would like to be there.

Ann Arbor is a college town with its own charm. Many people who grew up in large cities had a great time there, and I anticipate that you would as well. A-squared, as it is affectionately known, is a place that has it's own pearls and treasures. Being able to exploit things like the once weekly outdoor farmer's market, enjoying the best chicken noodle soup in the world at Angelo's, or taking in the favorite pastime of going to football games and/or tailgating at the Big House (the Michigan stadium) make Ann Arbor a special place... at the same time, the University is well connected, so there are options for you to get to know other graduate students, and there are many intramural sports leagues that you can get involved in as well. No, it is certainly not as cosmopolitan as NYC in any sense of the word, but you have access to a very cosmopolitan city which is about 4 hours away in Chicago (and you'll probably find that a good number of your classmates will be from that area and probably travel there often). Detroit is close, and it has some arts and culture, but it again is not NYC.

Michigan is well known for it's extensive connections all over the United States, so I don't think that gaining contacts in NYC is an issue. However, the Michigan program has a history of getting students into fellowship programs, and I'm not sure how many of those are in NYC. I would contact the student services department and check out the list of placements where students in that department have gone in the past. I honestly think that it would be worth your time and money to attend a better program, as it will probably offer you a wider array of opportunities. But this is your decision - you have to decide what will make you most happy and afford you the best options that you can possibly obtain.

Best of luck with your decision,
H&T

Ann Arbor is not your typical midwestern country-bumpkin city. The quality of life is fantastic as a2 is a true intellectual community...emphasis on community. There are very good restaurants and fun bars and allways a sporting event to go to. I always feel lost in the crowd in NYC, everybody fits in here in a2. Hard to explain, but this city (a2) has a good vibe...take that as you will.

Get a warm jacket.

t

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a similar situation, and I did visit the school. Columbia is very well connected and the internship oppertunities are massive. However the living conditions are not that great. The dorms are very very small and public health housing is on 168th street. The people in NYC were really nice and I did have a nice time there. UMich like you said is the number one ranked program so I would probably go there if I was in your position. Going to the best school in your field will automatically lead you to good internships and they have a very good Alumni Network. Good luck!

I would go to Univ. of Michigan for the football, go Wolverines!

Okay that probably didn't help much...haha :D

Hihi guys!

Well, I visited Columbia today and was not impressed at all. I felt that Michigan's MHSA program was FAR superior to Columbia's program, and I definately will be going there come Fall. Oh well! - All this debate for nothing...

Go Blue! :D

Congrats on your decision. :)

Heal&Teach said:
Go Blue! :D

Congrats on your decision. :)

Hihi H&T!

Do you think it's possible to get a job in NYC after finishing my MHSA at UMich?

Do I think it's possible? Yes. Will it happen? That's up to you.

You'll certainly get the skills that you need to get the job that you want - the rest is up to you. You have to be proactive, find out information about where past graduates have placed, and then make your connections from there.

Instead of focusing on getting a job in New York, focus first on taking advantage of all of the resources that this institution has to offer, and everything will fall into place.

Best,
H&T

Heal&Teach said:
Do I think it's possible? Yes. Will it happen? That's up to you.

You'll certainly get the skills that you need to get the job that you want - the rest is up to you. You have to be proactive, find out information about where past graduates have placed, and then make your connections from there.

Instead of focusing on getting a job in New York, focus first on taking advantage of all of the resources that this institution has to offer, and everything will fall into place.

Best,
H&T

I applied at U of M also...... if they accept me I will go visit ASAP. I'll be coming California. AspiringDoc, you helped me out a lot when I was looking for guidance and I want to thank you once again. If I do get accepted and I choose to go there, I hope we can meet up. I applied to the HMP and HBHE programs...... I am VERY impressed with the SPH at Michigan.... I think you will make the right choice by going there......

good night!!