MPH Online MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pt09j2t

Reaction score
Any thoughts on enrolling in an online MPH program?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From my personal experience (fairly recent PharmD graduate from a well-regarded "public ivy" research university):

I enrolled in an online MPH a year ago because the pharmacist job market is terrible and I planned on making a career change to sanitarian or something similar. Last Summer/Fall I started the process of seeking a direct commission in the Army as a pharmacist and succeeded. Completed two semesters (roughly half of didactic class requirements) already and now on sabbatical for military training.

I have found the rigor of my MPH cohort much lower than I expected. I don't mean to be dismissive or snotty but my fellow students seem ill-prepared to do the jobs to which the degree is aimed. Their writing, math, and problem solving skills are much lower than I anticipated and the courses are easy enough for them to not only succeed but get straight "A"s. This means there is an opportunity loss for someone trying to get a quality education. There were plenty of people with the "'C's get degrees" mentality in pharmacy school. But those people will still likely go on to be wildly successful and are quite sharp individuals capable of earning "C"s in rigorous courses with little effort.

My suspicions that the program is made for anyone to pass were confirmed by a close family member who works in higher education. Often, online programs are treated as cash cows and the universities want as many people as possible enrolled and, more importantly, not drop out. I may leave the program and transfer credits elsewhere in a little while (on the government's dime possibly;)). I am still undecided but the college would miss me because they have been using my credentials to give the program a shine of respectability ("Oooh, a 'doctor' is in the program!").

I know this thread is old, but I am wondering if you still feel this way? I am considering an online program and I noticed they were VERY expensive (I have GI Bill) and also wasn't exactly sure how they were viewed if I were to change gears and use the degree for a career change. There's a local program that's not high ranked, but given social distances, who knows if we'd have face to face time, but I felt this was invaluable and could help with networking.

So just wanted to see how genuine these online programs really are. Thanks

I still agree with my past self. I would recommend a "well-regarded" established program. Networking is critical; especially if you want to stay local afterward.