Tai

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
Status
To all pharmacy students:

Not sure if I should post here or Pre-pharm......

I am trying to choose btw two schools to accept at and wanted to know how much rotations really differ from state to state. Do you think there are better options for rotations in bigger cities or does it not really matter? If I wanted to apply to residency in a certain city (for example Chicago) would it be better to go to school in that city or do residency programs not care where you go to school or the quality of your rotations as long as ur grades, extracurriculars, etc. are up to par? Are there any particular rotations that you have done that have blown you away and have made you a better student or future clinician?

Im just having a hard time assessing if there is a better school to go to when it comes to the quality of rotation.

thanks!

OSURxgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 23, 2004
Status
I believe there are definitely more options for rotations in big cities. That being said, you can elect to do rotations out of state or even out of the country! I live in a medium sized city (Columbus), and we have lots of options for rotations: The OSU medical center, 6 other major hospitals, a psychiatric hospital, longterm care facilities, Cardinal Health (a fortune 500 company), Medco Health, etc etc. Remember too, that a good location for a rotation doesn't mean a quality rotation. It's often the strength of your preceptor and what you'll actually be doing and learning on the rotation that matter. Ask the schools you are interested in for some addresses of alumni who have finished rotations or students who are currently doing rotations. Ask these students what they think of the quality of their rotations.

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2005
Dallas, TX
Status
I didn't ask those questions when I applied to pharmacy school. I didn't care. I was going to graduate and open up a pharmacy.

I went through 4th year rotations..without thinking too much about it. But I realized the quality and well thought out strucuture of the rotations provided my school was a top notch education when I compared it to a different school.

My alma mater was one of the first schools to install 4th year rotations and a pharmD program..I believe it started in the 50's..and first pharmDs were graduated in the 60's..

After graduation, I moved out of state..and started working in a hospital. Even became a preceptor for 4th year rotations for their new "PharmD" students in the early and mid 90's. Basically, it was a joke. 4th year students were just used as nothing more than free labor by most of these rotations..even the Medicine rotation.

If getting a quality experience and exposure through your rotations is a priority, definitely do your research.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
Some pharmacy program even requires their students to find their own rotation sites.

ultracet

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
Visit site
Status
BMBiology said:
Some pharmacy program even requires their students to find their own rotation sites.
yeah i've heard this

i think that is absolutely HORRIBLE

we're not even allowed to talk to someone about being a preceptor... we can make a recommendation but everything is up to the school and they evaluate the site.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
ZpackSux said:
My alma mater was one of the first schools to install 4th year rotations and a pharmD program..I believe it started in the 50's..and first pharmDs were graduated in the 60's..
Good to know you graduated from USC!