Quantitative Reasoning Square Root Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ephesus32

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

The fourth root of x^3 times the square root of x equals 32. what is x?

Can somebody systematically take me to this? Thanks. I'm getting to point where it is X^(5/4)=32, but don't know how to get the answer easily after that. Thanks.

The answer is 16.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

The fourth root of x^3 times the square root of x equals 32. what is x?

Can somebody systematically take me to this? Thanks. I'm getting to point where it is X^(5/4)=32, but don't know how to get the answer easily after that. Thanks.

The answer is 16.

This is actually simple if you think SAT math. Look they drew it out like that so you get confused. remember that the square root of something is that thing ^.5. Just do the same thing here express the problem in a way that you can work it out as such

4Roots of (x^3) is the same as saying X^(3/4)
so multiply tat by X^(1/2) and you get

X^(3/4) . X^(1/2) = X^[(3/4)+(1/2)] =32
Then solve X^(5/4)=32

32^4/5 is 16 =X

Members don't see this ad :)
This is actually simple if you think SAT math. Look they drew it out like that so you get confused. remember that the square root of something is that thing ^.5. Just do the same thing here express the problem in a way that you can work it out as such

4Roots of (x^3) is the same as saying X^(3/4)
so multiply tat by X^(1/2) and you get

X^(3/4) . X^(1/2) = X^[(3/4)+(1/2)] =32
Then solve X^(5/4)=32

32^4/5 is 16 =X

Thanks Sublimation.
However, 32^(4/5) is kind of time consuming for the QC section doing it mathematically especially getting the fifth square root. Is there any better time efficient way to figure it out?

Yeah. Know that the fifth root of 32 is 2. That should be something you remember.

And even if you didn't know... it's the 5th root! Anything to the 5th power makes it a LOT bigger. And since 32 isn't exactly that large of a number, it makes sense that you should think that 2 is the 5th root.

Last edited: