• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

quantum numbers

SpikeyMike83

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 19, 2005
GA
    so the magnetic quantum number ranges from
    -l --> +l

But do we need to know, for example, specifically what the ml for Sulfur is? Or just knowt that because Sulfur is "p", it can be -1,0,1?

If there is a way to tell which one of those it is most often, how do you do it? i'm going crazy over this!

GRAD

10+ Year Member
    Jul 10, 2006
    1. Pre-Dental
      yeah just need to know it for different groups eg s, p, d, f

if they ask you for how many electrons in l=3
      its 4l+2

if they ask you how many electrons in n=2
      its 2n^2= 8

Just remember those, and also know that sis when l=0
      p is when ml is -1--->1 thats three subshells 3*2=6 electrons
      f is when l is from -3--->3 thats 14 electrons, etc

if they ask for sulfur, which i dont think they will cause then you have the number of electrons right in front of you.

quantum numbers are used to describe any electron, but i dont think you can determine it the opposite way. if you look at sulfur, you see that it has - electrons, so you would know the spin, and you would know if its paramagnetic, etc. I doubt they would ask you to find ml for sulfur

SpikeyMike83

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      May 19, 2005
      GA
        thanks!

I just was using sulfur as an example because me and my mom were trying to figure it out. I'm fine with knowing all of what you said, I just know that the magnetic quantum number determines where the electron is most likely to be found and so I didn't know if they'd ask you to pinpoint a specific value... or just know that if you're dealing with p, it could be -l --> l

I'm guessing they'd probably give you some quantum numbers and ask which could be correct for a certain element.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.