quantum numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OU11BB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are the quantum numbers that could define an outer valence electon of Co+3? I know that the configuration for Co is [Ar] 4s2 3d7. since it is +3 would the electrons leave the d subshell first or the S subshell and why? Thanks very much.

Members don't see this ad.

what are the quantum numbers that could define an outer valence electon of Co+3? I know that the configuration for Co is [Ar] 4s2 3d7. since it is +3 would the electrons leave the d subshell first or the S subshell and why? Thanks very much.

I "think" the electrons would leave the d orbital first, because d orbital is the last one that fills. I am not certain.

i think it would be S since it is lower energy, or maybe not since it want to be in the lowest energy.

i think it would be S since it is lower energy, or maybe not since it want to be in the lowest energy.

Actually, it's higher in energy once the d-subshell starts to fill....

That's why transition metals lose the ns electron before the (n-1)d electrons...because it's higher in potential energy and thus more readily lost.

The ns subshell fills before (n-1)d because INITIALLY it is LOWER in energy. Therefore, in accordance with Aufbau ordering, ns fills before (n-1)d subshell.

However, once the (n-1)d subshell starts to fill, the d subshell electron(s) exert a shielding effect on the ns electrons....

Now, the ns electron is HIGHER in potential energy.

Actually, it's higher in energy once the d-subshell starts to fill....

That's why transition metals lose the ns electron before the (n-1)d electrons...because it's higher in potential energy and thus more readily lost.

The ns subshell fills before (n-1)d because INITIALLY it is LOWER in energy. Therefore, in accordance with Aufbau ordering, ns fills before (n-1)d subshell.

However, once the (n-1)d subshell starts to fill, the d subshell electron(s) exert a shielding effect on the ns electrons....

Now, the ns electron is HIGHER in potential energy.

Is this only true of transition metals?