Queer, geeky EMTs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thirdunity

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else?

I've observed in my past work experience, that "fitting in" with your corporate culture is extremely important.

I'm changing fields from computers to EMS and after my ridealongs in my suburban area (though I'm moving to a major city), have observed that the EMTs seem to be 1) very straight males with fragile masculine egos, 2) very mainstream kind of interests.

I'm in a lesbian relationship (though I am femme), and am into science fiction. I used to be in the computer industry. Is there any advice people can give me about fitting in? Will being gay and not being into the usual "macho" interests, be a problem, or is it just a matter of pulling my weight as an EMT?

Members don't see this ad.

I've encountered this problem. I'm a male, but not an "alpha male" type of guy.

I recommend filling in as many overtime shifts as you can to work with different partners and hopefully find one that's your style. My partner happens to be an easy going, enthusiastic, silly guy. We have a great time working the ambulance, fake bickering back and forth, doing voices, and enjoying our jobs.

But really most of the guys at the company are either very alpha male (all want to be firefighters) or the SUPER laid back guy (almost to point of lazy) who talks really slowly, criticizes everything he sees, cynical. I don't feel like I'd get along great with either of those types.

I'd either prefer an enthusiastic guy partner or a girl whose not so "intense". You'll find people like that, but it might take awhile. Then try to change shifts to one they work at.

Also, it does help if the girl does have thick skin, can find the silliness in the stupid guy jokes, won't mind watching a game (even if you're not excited about it), and can make girl jokes with them. There's a few "lipstick lesbians" (I believe is the current term) that get along well with the guys.

But also know when to give a friendly "F off" (really) or blow them off if they're getting too intense with you. Just kinda do your thing and don't impose on them and people seem to get along...just bring your sense of humor with you.

Anyone else?

I've observed in my past work experience, that "fitting in" with your corporate culture is extremely important.

I'm changing fields from computers to EMS and after my ridealongs in my suburban area (though I'm moving to a major city), have observed that the EMTs seem to be 1) very straight males with fragile masculine egos, 2) very mainstream kind of interests.

I'm in a lesbian relationship (though I am femme), and am into science fiction. I used to be in the computer industry. Is there any advice people can give me about fitting in? Will being gay and not being into the usual "macho" interests, be a problem, or is it just a matter of pulling my weight as an EMT?
Nope, it should not be a problem. Do your job, don't make waves, keep your private life private and I do not think you will be in for any more of a rough time than any other person.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll have to agree with everyone else above.

The last ambulance company I worked at was quite diverse (personality and lifestyle-wise) and I never had a problem fitting in or getting along with anyone, except one guy, and he was homophobic, insecure, and had anger problems (I'm also fairly sure he was bipolar). No one got along with this guy and he eventually was encouraged to work elsewhere when every person refused to work with him.

anyways, my secret of success? I just focused on doing the best job I could do and being the partner I could be. I know that is a bit cliche but hell it worked. :)

I work with several gay males and females and I've enjoyed working with all of them. Their skills are good, as are their personalities, work ethics, etc. Truth be told, I don't know of any co-workers that have problems with them. Pull your weight, be friendly and polite (just as you normally would), and you'll do just fine. :luck:

One more thing, I have learned that keeping your private life out of the work environment (with the exception of your closer friends at work) as much as possible is a wise move. ;) That applies to everybody, gay or straight. I learned that the hard way. :mad: :thumbdown: