Question about 4th year ADT and when we officially become O-3

Started by DJBee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DJBee

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm curious about what you all have heard about when in your 4th year do you officially become an O-3. Is it the day of your graduation? Or do they bump you up a couple months before. I heard this through the grapevine as a recommendation to wait until around March to use your ADT if you have not used it for that fiscal year yet to get O-3 pay versus O-1 pay. Any advice would be great!
 
No, you are not an O3 until after med school graduation. You don't technically get promoted, but rather get recomissioned upon graduation. Then, your date of rank is supposed to correspond with your med school graduation date, but some places will try to change that to when you report for inprocessing for internship (if that happens, you can get it fixed later).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Things may have changed, but my DOR for O-3 was my date of entry into active duty after med school. I had graduated a month earlier. The USUHS DOR was their graduation if I recall correctly.

Ed
 
Things may have changed, but my DOR for O-3 was my date of entry into active duty after med school. I had graduated a month earlier. The USUHS DOR was their graduation if I recall correctly.

Ed
It's supposed to be date of med school graduation for everybody, but when I inprocessed for internship, they wanted to get everyone "on the same page" so, changed everybody's to our report date. The USUHS folk raised a stink, citing the regulation, but us HPSP folk just went, "well, ok, I guess." Several years later, someone else confirmed for me the med school graduation date as you're DOR, and a colleague and I got ours changed.