question about aamc test scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNtoDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey can anyone tell me how their practice aamc mcat tests compared with the their real mcat scores.
appreciate it

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't taken the real one yet, debating between April and Aug, but the first time I took a practice I got a 13 on it...but please note that I hadn't seen any of this stuff in 4 years or more and I didn't study. The second practice I took I got a 17 on. So I can see more progression but I'm still no where near where I want to be. I don't know if I will be ready or not for the April

I did a little better on the practices (1-2 pts) than on the real thing. But overall they seemed to be pretty good indicators.

Members don't see this ad :)
So far, I took two sample tests from AAMC. I got 27 for 3R (four weeks ago), 30 for 5R (two weeks ago). I plan to take the other two every two weeks. I heard that the real test is a little tougher than the practice test, probably due to nervousness of people. I had a friend who got ~30 for four sample tests, yet only got 25 for the real one. I hope that won't happen to me.
Just in case, I am studying Berkeley Review tests and Kaplan tests between the weeks. Those tests are a lot more harder, though.

this question has been asked quite a bit: the general consensus is that the AAMC tests are the best indicator of what you'll actually get, although they may be ever so slightly (maybe one point) easier than the real thing (they'll overestimate your score a tiny bit).
Bear in mind that other diagnostics have other motivations: kaplan etc.'s initial diagnostics have a vested interest in giving you a low score because of their money back guarantee. that said, anyone who reports their diag/real score will probably be outside the normal range; people generally wont post unless they have something more interesting to say than "got a 30 on AAMC, 31 on real"

My real score was better than the practice tests, I think for two reasons:

1) The real test was of much higher quality. The questions on some of the practice tests (both Kaplan and AAMC) were poorly worded or had unintentionally ambiguous answer choices. This was not true on the real deal.

2) I was very aware of the need to do well during the real thing, and that has a tendency to sharpen the mind.

About 4 points difference in total score for me.

Originally posted by Spacekat
My real score was better than the practice tests, I think for two reasons:

1) The real test was of much higher quality. The questions on some of the practice tests (both Kaplan and AAMC) were poorly worded or had unintentionally ambiguous answer choices. This was not true on the real deal.

2) I was very aware of the need to do well during the real thing, and that has a tendency to sharpen the mind.

About 4 points difference in total score for me.
:clap: , congrats dude.

One thing I want to mention. I know I have not taken the exam, so the creadibility of my words my be of some lower standard. But being nervous during any exam can only hurt you. Relax yourself somehow, and stay sharp and focused.

Just me .03 cents