Question about ABEM board: how many days/hours is the exam? Structure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angry Birds

Angry Troll
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

This information is probably in my ABEM prep book, but I am currently traveling and don't have access to it, so whatever--I'm gonna be lazy and ask you all instead.

I see that the ABEM dates are listed as: Monday - Saturday, November 6-11, 2017

Does that mean that you can be scheduled on any of those days, or is it a multiple day examination?

I realize the oral examination is on a different day and in a different month. But, what about the written component? How long is it? etc. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If I remember right, you get to select the day that you want. The test is divided up between sections that are timed as well as break time. You don't have to take the break time and as soon as you finish a section, you can move on to the next. How long it takes is going to be up to you. I only used a few minutes of the break time to use the bathroom but otherwise powered through pretty quickly.

Reactions: 1 user
If I remember right, you get to select the day that you want. The test is divided up between sections that are timed as well as break time. You don't have to take the break time and as soon as you finish a section, you can move on to the next. How long it takes is going to be up to you. I only used a few minutes of the break time to use the bathroom but otherwise powered through pretty quickly.

Thanks so much for the answer! So, basically it's a one-day test, and a few hours long? Like our in-service exams during residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, just like the in-service. Great thread on here with prep resources. If you studied for your in-service a bit you should have no problem. I was a fan of PEER and Rosh. It's not too bad

about 325 questions

and you can do awful on the in-service and still pass the boards

I was done by lunch. I ate at Hooters, since it was behind the Prometric.
It's also the last time I ate at Hooters though.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, one day in their given range. Also was a PEER and Rosh fan. Personally thought it was a better test than the ITEs -- more applicable, fewer esoteric questions.