Question about admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thaman16

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls, I am currently a junior and am trying to become a doctor. By the time I graduate I will have around a 3.2 gpa and my science possibly be at 3.4. I have a 40 on the MCAT. I would like to try MD but I doubt I'd get in with my GPA. I have been shadowing doctors of MD and DO. I don't mind DO at all. I was just wondering what are my chances of getting into a DO school? I would appreciate any help at all. Thank you, and good luck out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys and girls, I am currently a junior and am trying to become a doctor. By the time I graduate I will have around a 3.2 gpa and my science possibly be at 3.4. I have a 40 on the MCAT. I would like to try MD but I doubt I'd get in with my GPA. I have been shadowing doctors of MD and DO. I don't mind DO at all. I was just wondering what are my chances of getting into a DO school? I would appreciate any help at all. Thank you, and good luck out there.

Should be able to get into every DO school you apply to. Pending good letters and interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)

40 MCAT :eek:

Congratu-freaking-lations!

I got into two of the top DO schools with a 3.25 GPA and a 32 MCAT so you should have no problems. BE SURE to be able to answer the question, "Wow you have a high MCAT -- why is your GPA comparatively low?"

Apply broadly to MD schools as well. I am fairly certain that you WILL be admitted to one. But then again, I thought I had better than a snowball's chance in hell for MD schools, and I was tragically wrong lol. That said, I am certain that many of the DO schools are on par or better in terms of quality than a few MD schools out there. And this isn't just my stupid premed view... I've been told that by highly-esteemed MDs in the philly area. So contrary what certain people on these boards will tell you, don't simply throw out DO acceptances for any MD acceptance...

Any questions, PM me. Best of luck! And as I'm sure others will readily tell you, make sure you have some good ECs and clinical experience to set you apart from the rest...

Well, academically, you are in good position for DO schools. Apply early and to a decent number of schools and you should have several interviews and your choice of school, provided, of course, that you also have good EC's and you interview well. I think you will do well and should get in somewhere (and likely in more than one place).

In terms of allopathic applications, it won't be as easy. Your UGPA is below average (the mean is somewhere around 3.5), but your MCAT score kicks some serious ass, which you probably already know. Not too many folks score in your MCAT range. It will certainly work in your favor, especially if your grades have been trending up. If you apply early, broadly, and intelligently, I think you should also get some interviews.

Bottomline: apply EARLY and broadly, to many schools, both MD and DO, to maximize your chances.

Good luck.

Well, academically, you are in good position for DO schools. Apply early and to a decent number of schools and you should have several interviews and your choice of school, provided, of course, that you also have good EC's and you interview well. I think you will do well and should get in somewhere (and likely in more than one place).

In terms of allopathic applications, it won't be as easy. Your UGPA is below average (the mean is somewhere around 3.5), but your MCAT score kicks some serious ass, which you probably already know. Not too many folks score in your MCAT range. It will certainly work in your favor, especially if your grades have been trending up. If you apply early, broadly, and intelligently, I think you should also get some interviews.

Bottomline: apply EARLY and broadly, to many schools, both MD and DO, to maximize your chances.

Good luck.

The OP already acknowledged his GPA deficiences.

Assuming the OP is not a troll...

Is it wrong of me to wonder why people seem to put NO effort into researching topics before posting?

Yeah, I've decided that many newbie pre-meds on SDN are incredibly lazy when it comes to doing research. They'd rather accept the questionable opinions of basically anonymous folks than check it out on their own. Also, I think it's a question of insecurity, too. Many newbie premeds that post on SDN are both neurotic and insecure. I guess the process is kind of set up to favor this. :laugh:

Noted. I guess I've just responded to too many, "what are my chances...?" threads; almost autopilot now. :laugh:

There needs to be a "What are my dubious chances of getting into a DO school ..." sticky similar to what pre-allo has.

So noted. I guess I've just responded to too many, "what are my chances...?" threads; almost autopilot now. :laugh:

And I really don't think that there's a problem with that to be honest.

If we're willing to answer then what is the f*ing problem? I feel bad for everyone entering this process... it's been one of the most emotionally rewarding yet trying times of my life.

Try to be a little more understanding. (and this isn't really directed at you spiced)