uclawill

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
I recently have been diagnosed with developmental dysplasia of the hips, which basically is like severe arthritis in both hips even though im only 22. I can walk (with pain), but am extremely fatigued at the end of each day. Becasue I have to compensate for the loss of motion in my hips/upperleg, my lower back is over stressed and I also have inflamation/slight scoliosis there. The symptoms have been going on for 3 years but they have misdiagnosed it as a back problem till recent xrays. I am registered at my office of student disabilities and have been on disabled placard for CA for 1 year.

The thing is, I used to be a tri-athele, 4.2 AP honors student and president of clubs/concertmaster of honors orchestra in high school.

Edit: took dats, raised gpa, got in, thanks

Last edited:

apaul

Some Dude
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status
Dental Student
I dont know a lot about your condition obviously, but it seems like getting into a profession that puts a severe amount of back strain on people without such pre-existing conditions, with what you have, it could get quite bad. Why risk the investment and time involved, only to have to retire after a few years, why not do something like pharmacy? Again, youre free to choose whatever but I wouldnt if I were you

good luck

OP
U

uclawill

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
well my back problems stem from my hips

becasue my problem was misdiagnosed, my back problems never got better

after surgery, I am told my back problems will get better. Xrays and MRI of my back are good.

About the Ads

midwestboy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Hartford
Status
Dental Student
First of all I would like to tell you my prayers are with you for healing and endurance. Hearing your story has touched me. I, like you, have suffered from a handful of things; back surgery to correct scoliosis (93 degree curvature), cysts, hidradenitis suppurtiva, etc. I think the things you've gone through and still going through are a testimony of resiliency and strength. It's really hard not being able to all of the things that you've enjoyed your whole life, but through perseverance you will obtain the things you're striving for. I would admonish you to show the admissions committee in your personal statement how you have sought to cope with this condition and how, like school, you have continued to improve and make strides. Make sure to let them know in your application (when you apply) your situation (personal statement doesn't allow enough words for you to describe everything you've been through). Being a dentist is your dream and you should by all means pursue it! Good Luck and May God Bless!

RockstarDMD

sUcCeSs iS mY OnLY OpTioN
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2005
Accepted
Status
Pursue your dreams and best of luck to you. If your disability hinders you from practicing in the future, you can always enjoy dentistry through teaching. Best of luck to you.

tom_servo_dds

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
RockstarDMD said:
Pursue your dreams and best of luck to you. If your disability hinders you from practicing in the future, you can always enjoy dentistry through teaching. Best of luck to you.
Excellent point! There are a TON of things to do beside drill and fill in dentistry. Only you know best what you are physically capable, but pursue what you enjoy and give it your all. I've got to say that your attitude is very encouraging to all of us who have not had to deal with similar physical challenges. Very best of luck to you!!!

SuperTrooper

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Status
uclawill said:
Should I mention it greatly in my personal statement? If so, should I base my personal statement around my disability, or should i just make it a sidenote?
I think it would be a bad idea to base your personal statement entirely around your disability. First things first... you're applying to dental school cause you want to be a dentist. Make sure that comes out. However, you should definitely include some info about your condition in your statement.

uclawill said:
And should I contact the schools in any other special way by sending them information about my disability/etc or is that not necessary?
Make sure that the school understands your condition through your application (personal statement, etc.). However, I think it would be best to not include any additional information unless they ask. It's my personal opinion that some schools may be a little nervous about accepting a student that may have added difficulties because of a medical condition - dental school is extremely hard as it is. So, you don't want to dwell on it; but make it perfectly clear once.

I don't have any condition myself, but i do know of some people with epilepsy going into dentistry. The only school i remember making a big deal about disabilities was UConn. They had this special form they wanted us to fill out on interview day.

Anyhow, my heart goes out to you uclawill. If dentistry is what you want then go for it full force. good luck!!! :) :D :luck:

beannaithe

Bionerd
10+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
Phila, PA
Status
Dentist
Go for it! Don't let a disability stop you from your dreams. I'd write my personal statement about if I were you and just tell them about how your condition won't stop you from what you want in life.

Though I would recommend considering a master's program if you don't get it because of your low GPA. :luck:

OP
U

uclawill

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
thanks alot for your advice and encouragement! it really means alot to me.

if anyone else has anything to say itd be very much appreciated.

BTW, should I still apply to a masters/postbac if i end up with a 3.0-3.1 gpa? and also, should i apply to masters/postbac now at the same time?

thanks.

reapply2007

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2006
Status
Dental Student
I'd say your overall DAT/GPA/EC still needs to be strong to get into dental school. Your experience is compelling. It sounds like you can do whatever you set your mind to do, I suggest boosting the package as a whole. Good luck.

beannaithe

Bionerd
10+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2005
Phila, PA
Status
Dentist
uclawill said:
thanks alot for your advice and encouragement! it really means alot to me.

if anyone else has anything to say itd be very much appreciated.

BTW, should I still apply to a masters/postbac if i end up with a 3.0-3.1 gpa? and also, should i apply to masters/postbac now at the same time?

thanks.
you should still consider a master/postbac with a 3.0-3.1 gpa. i'd apply at the same time. that way if you don't get into dental school, you'll still be working your way towards dental school even if you didn't get in right away...

About the Ads