question about applying, timeline issues, ect.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brightness

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently studying psychology and I've been thinking of doing a PhD or other degree in that area quite seriously. However, I really want to be involved in medicine more directly and deal with medications and prescriptions, so I've been thinking about trying to take another route to this goal.
The three ways that I've thought of for approaching this goal are being a psychiatric NP, PA, or a psychiatrist. I've also thought a lot about doing pediatrics or neonatal work as one of these clinicians- ie., NP, PA, or physician. If I did go to medical school, I would want to be a D.O., which is why I am posting in this forum.
Alright, so, with that background info in mind, I have a question. I wouldn't finish my pre-reqs for medical school until the spring of '09, so I wouldn't be able to take the MCAT until that spring. When would I apply and when would I matriculate? I assume that I would apply that fall and matriculate the following fall? Its not that I don't want to be a doctor, or that I don't realize sometimes we have to make sacrifices for what we want...but wow, that would be 6 years until I started medical school from beginning my undergrad?
I'd like to hear some of your opinions on my situation, in addition to the NP/PA route and also becoming a physician.
I really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Lindsay

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently studying psychology and I've been thinking of doing a PhD or other degree in that area quite seriously.
PhD. Long time!

However, I really want to be involved in medicine more directly and deal with medications and prescriptions, so I've been thinking about trying to take another route to this goal.

:thumbup:

The three ways that I've thought of for approaching this goal are being a psychiatric NP, PA, or a psychiatrist. I've also thought a lot about doing pediatrics or neonatal work as one of these clinicians- ie., NP, PA, or physician.

I vote medical school. :)

If I did go to medical school, I would want to be a D.O., which is why I am posting in this forum.

Welcome!

Alright, so, with that background info in mind, I have a question. I wouldn't finish my pre-reqs for medical school until the spring of '09, so I wouldn't be able to take the MCAT until that spring.

Well, you can take the MCAT anytime you want. Having the pre-reqs would make it easier, but I know plenty of people who took the MCAT without having all the premed courses done. MCAT is a separate entity from everything else...its just a requirement to apply.

When would I apply and when would I matriculate?

Example (me):

MCAT April 2001 (Junior year of college)
Apply Summer 2001 (between Junior & Senior year)
Acceptance Winter 2001 (Senior year)
Graduated College Spring 2002

So If you are finishing classes in Spring 2009 then you will be applying summer 2008 for a spot in the class beginning Fall 2009 (class of 2013)

Taking the MCAT any time befire you apply (summer 2008) is a good idea.

I assume that I would apply that fall and matriculate the following fall?

Again...apply Fall (really late summer) BEFORE you finish classes.

If you finish classes Spring 2009...then you wait until Summer/Fall of 2009 to apply, you wont get an answer until Winter 2009/Early 2010. Then you would start medical school Fall 2010. You have wasted a year.

Its not that I don't want to be a doctor, or that I don't realize sometimes we have to make sacrifices for what we want...but wow, that would be 6 years until I started medical school from beginning my undergrad?

You would graduate in 2013 if you went straight through.

I'd like to hear some of your opinions on my situation, in addition to the NP/PA route and also becoming a physician.
I really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Lindsay

My opinion? In medical school you dont have to write a thesis. :)

When I went back and read my post I realized I wasn't that clear. This is the end of my junior year and I haven't even taken Chem I, so I'd be really behind! If I took the MCAT at the end of next year, I'd only have taken Chm 1and Chm 2, and lots of biology- so I doubt I'd do very well. I'm pretty sure I DO want to do medicine, but man, I just don't know if I want to be that far behind, and like the above poster said, waste a year. Thats why I thought of the PA/NP route, instead, because I would be able to get the prereqs done on time. I'm just so torn!

Members don't see this ad :)
When I went back and read my post I realized I wasn't that clear. This is the end of my junior year and I haven't even taken Chem I, so I'd be really behind! If I took the MCAT at the end of next year, I'd only have taken Chm 1and Chm 2, and lots of biology- so I doubt I'd do very well. I'm pretty sure I DO want to do medicine, but man, I just don't know if I want to be that far behind, and like the above poster said, waste a year. Thats why I thought of the PA/NP route, instead, because I would be able to get the prereqs done on time. I'm just so torn!

Just be sure in your decision. NP/PA is vastly different from MD/DO

Feck it. I'm going to medical school, even if I'm 105 when I graduate. Because if I don't, that feeling of 'what if' I'd done it is always going to be with me.

The average age for entrance into US medical schools is about 25 and there's plenty of people who enter DO who are over 30. I'm assuming you're about 20-21 as a junior in college (unless you started college late), so you have another 4-5 years before you even cross over the average age. It's very common to take some time off between college and medical school. It's your last chance to rest or do something interesting before you plummet into the madness of med school. On the last interview I went on, everyone in my group already had their Bachelor's degree and was either working or pursuing an advanced degree. Bottom line, I wouldn't freak out about not going to med. school directly after your senior year.

That being said, med school will be a grueling 4 yrs plus 3-7 yrs of residency afterwards. So don't go into it unless you're committed to it.

Feck it. I'm going to medical school, even if I'm 105 when I graduate. Because if I don't, that feeling of 'what if' I'd done it is always going to be with me.

Good for you!

If it means anything, my freshman year of medical school we had one classmate who was 51 years old and 4 people who were in their 40s. Many people in their late 20s and 30s.

Thanks for the replies, guys. :)
I'm nervous now that I've said I want to do this- because until I said I wanted it, I didn't realize how much I want it. My math skills are weak, and I'm planning on getting a tutor this summer and purchasing some math and chemistry software to study it. I am also becoming a CNA and I'm involved on campus, so that should help. WHOOO> I am nervous!

Thanks for the replies, guys. :)
I'm nervous now that I've said I want to do this- because until I said I wanted it, I didn't realize how much I want it. My math skills are weak, and I'm planning on getting a tutor this summer and purchasing some math and chemistry software to study it. I am also becoming a CNA and I'm involved on campus, so that should help. WHOOO> I am nervous!

Don't worry about math. I took remedial alg (B) and trig (B) when I got to college before calculus... took calc 1 and calc 2 and got B-'s in both of them haha. Math and I don't get along... honestly, the thing that improved my math skills the most was physics and chem... you have to be able to solve quickly once you figure out how to do the problem... and in physics we were allowed to have a formula sheet, however I usually just put general equations on the sheet and had to alter them during the exam... that greatly increased the speed with which I can rearrange equations...

Also, most DO schools don't even have a math requirement as far as I know.

I just want to get my math skills up to par in order to be able to do well in chem and physics. For me, the math that applies to something and I can understand WHY we are doing it is easier for me to do. I am a psychology major and I've taken some research design courses and stats classes, and those weren't so difficult, even though they are mathy. I just want to get enough math knowledge to do well in my pre-med coursework. Also, you got Bs in all your math!! Bs are NOT 'not getting along'...I've failed math 2x (freshman year) so I think if anything disables my ability to get into med school, it will be my math.