Question about background check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedstudent19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an undergraduate sophomore and I made HUGE mistake that I truly regret everyday. During my first semester this year i got a DWAI. This happened because I was under 21, even though I was not drunk (i did a breathalyzer and i came back at .07). I was never arrested but I was convicted of the DWAI because you cannot have any BAC under 21. I have good grades and I already have logged around 150 hours in clinics by shadowing and interning (and i plan to do research next summer). I am also planning on taking a year after college to do a post-bacc, in part to separate myself from the incident and give it more time.

Does anyone know if I stand a chance at getting accepted into Med School with this on my record? If i show that it was a dumb mistake i made when I was a 1st semester sophomore and I make no more mistakes, and I have learned from all this, will a medical school still accept me? I would hate for the one blunder in my life to ruin all my plans and I was wondering if there are any stories of kids in my situation that were accepted into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

as far as I know it is going to be a misdemeanor, unless there is some way to get it expunged from my record...

Members don't see this ad :)
Sucks. It was stupid to begin, but a lot of kids (especially those with money), can get these things expunged with a good lawyer. I don't think it will make it impossible, but it certainly won't help. If you don't get it expunged, then just be sure you report it on your AMCAS application. You wouldn't want to not report it, and then have a school find out in the background check. THAT is what would preclude you from med school admission.

Sucks. It was stupid to begin, but a lot of kids (especially those with money), can get these things expunged with a good lawyer. I don't think it will make it impossible, but it certainly won't help. If you don't get it expunged, then just be sure you report it on your AMCAS application. You wouldn't want to not report it, and then have a school find out in the background check. THAT is what would preclude you from med school admission.

:thumbup: I Agree. :thumbup:

ok i appreciate it...has anyone heard of someone in my situation before get accepted? should i call an admissions office and ask for their opinion?

I have a friend who got accepted to the best pharmacy program in Texas after getting a DWI the semester she was applying. She also has a "photographic" memory and is a URM, though. They are going to make her go through some special class at some point because of the offense.