Question about being involved in dental academia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fonz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know what you need to do to eventually become an instuctor at a dental school. I've read about the joint DDS/DMD - PhD programs and so is that what all dental school professors had to go though? Is it possible to maybe practice for some years after general then go back to school to get certified to teach?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends what you want to do in academia. The combined degree programs are primarily for people who only want to do academia and IN ADDITION want to do research (hence the PhD). If, for example, you just want to teach in the clinics, you definitely don't need a PhD for that. You can actually have your own practice and teach part time or you can teach full time. I'm not sure of the exact path that most clinical professors take but I don't think you need to be certified to teach. I think having the DDS/DMD is enough. Not sure on this though. If you are interested in research, you don't need a PhD but it's HIGHLY recommended. You can still do research and be very good at it, but unfortunately, many are biased against researchers without PhDs. If you are at a dental school as a full, tenured professor, and you do research, you're pretty much required to teach. The other thing is that PhDs aren't taught to teach, it's just expected. This is why you get a hodgepodge of professors: some are really good at the teaching portion and love it, others hate it and do it only because they have to.

Adding the PhD takes longer but you get paid to go to dental school (most programs offer tuition, fees, health insurance plus $20,000 stipend). The assumption is that afterwards you will do a postdoc (with or without a specialty) and then take a faculty position at a dental school. This is preferred, especially with the growing shortage of dental faculty members, BUT you certainly won't be forced into it. There are a few cases where the students just go into clinics instead.

Does this answer your question?

Thanks for posting this. I have also been considering the teaching aspect of dentistry. I'm curious as to what an average dental professor makes. Frankly, I have very little interest in research at this point, but I have always enjoyed any chance to teach that I've had.

Flyingdentist, are you saying that you don't need a PhD to teach in dental school?

EDIT: a quick perusal of a faculty list at *some* university revealed that the majority are DDS or DMDs without PhDs. Cool!

Members don't see this ad :)
all you need is your dental degree to teach clinical dentistry

that's what i plan on gettig involved in later down the line

Yeah that answered my question quite well, thanks! I have always been interested in becoming involved in education but don't wanna have to go through a PhD program too.

Yeah that answered my question quite well, thanks! I have always been interested in becoming involved in education but don't wanna have to go through a PhD program too.

Be sure to bring this up in your AADSAS application and in your interviews - certain schools are looking for people who are interested in teaching. This was specifically said at my NYU interview for example.

Be sure to bring this up in your AADSAS application and in your interviews - certain schools are looking for people who are interested in teaching. This was specifically said at my NYU interview for example.

Oh yeah definitely. I was planning to because I thought that was one way I can distinguish myself from other students and teaching is something I've been really wanting do.

I just wanted to know what you need to do to eventually become an instuctor at a dental school. I've read about the joint DDS/DMD - PhD programs and so is that what all dental school professors had to go though? Is it possible to maybe practice for some years after general then go back to school to get certified to teach?

What I would do first is go to dental school for four years as step #1.

You don't apply for joint degrees until you're into school anyway.

What I would do first is go to dental school for four years as step #1.

You don't apply for joint degrees until you're into school anyway.

It depends what school it is. Most that I applied to were directly to the joint degree program straight out of undergrad.

No, I applied to the program at Maryland but it wasn't my best fit. I'm doing the DDS/PhD program at Michigan.

It depends what you want to do in academia. The combined degree programs are primarily for people who only want to do academia and IN ADDITION want to do research (hence the PhD). If, for example,you just want to teach in the clinics, you definitely don't need a PhD for that. You can actually have your own practice and teach part time or you can teach full time. I'm not sure of the exact path that most clinical professors take but I don't think you need to be certified to teach. I think having the DDS/DMD is enough. Not sure on this though. If you are interested in research, you don't need a PhD but it's HIGHLY recommended. You can still do research and be very good at it, but unfortunately, many are biased against researchers without PhDs. If you are at a dental school as a full, tenured professor, and you do research, you're pretty much required to teach. The other thing is that PhDs aren't taught to teach, it's just expected. This is why you get a hodgepodge of professors: some are really good at the teaching portion and love it, others hate it and do it only because they have to.

Adding the PhD takes longer but you get paid to go to dental school (most programs offer tuition, fees, health insurance plus $20,000 stipend). The assumption is that afterwards you will do a postdoc (with or without a specialty) and then take a faculty position at a dental school. This is preferred, especially with the growing shortage of dental faculty members, BUT you certainly won't be forced into it. There are a few cases where the students just go into clinics instead.

Does this answer your question?

If you teach full time without getting your PhD will your education be paid for? Or is that just for people that work in underserved areas??? If not then how can people (that have to take out loans for dental schools) afford to teach full time? just wondering...

Does anyone know the answer to this question? will your loans be paid for if you go into academia with only a DDS degree?