question about binocular balance using prism dissociation

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UWStudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Thank you so much for reading my thread. I was wondering if any of optoms can tell me the procedure of how you do:
binocular balance using prism dissociation technique.

Step by step instruction would be greatly appreciated. I have been shown many different ways to do it, but I am not sure of the correct way that it is taught in school nowadays.Also if you have a link to a video demonstrating this procedure please share it.

Thanks,

optometry student

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi All

Thank you so much for reading my thread. I was wondering if any of optoms can tell me the procedure of how you do:
binocular balance using prism dissociation technique.

Step by step instruction would be greatly appreciated. I have been shown many different ways to do it, but I am not sure of the correct way that it is taught in school nowadays.Also if you have a link to a video demonstrating this procedure please share it.

Thanks,

optometry student

What have you been taught?

I am a foreigned train optom from overseas so we weren't taught to do binocular balance using prism. I want to learn how to do it and the way it is taught in optometry school in North America Your help is greaty appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not the only way to balance. I imagine you have some method of balancing. What do you normally do?

It is ever so similar to balancing with polarising lenses.

Is that the particular way to balance at UW? I didn't think that was how most people balanced.

I am a foreigned train optom from overseas so we weren't taught to do binocular balance using prism. I want to learn how to do it and the way it is taught in optometry school in North America Your help is greaty appreciated.

O.K., but how have you been taught to perform the test? There's more than one way, and, to my knowledge, none of the methods is commonly used in actual clinical practice.

Then you should attend a US school of Optometry.